August 2011 Moms

Playtex Ventaire bottles and bottle warmers?

I received two bottle warmers from my shower.  I decided to try both out to figure out which one to keep.  I had already bought some Ventaire bottles and tried one in the bottle warmers and it didn't work in either.  I think because the bottom of these bottles has the thick plastic and the water in the warmer barely even touched where the liquid is in the bottom. 

Who else has used Ventaire before, how did you warm the bottles?  Am I just using the warmers wrong or do these bottles not work for the bottle warmers? 

And for that matter do you even need to warm a bottle?  If so, what is the reasoning for it?  Not sure if I am b/f or not, so what if I just made the formula with room temp water is that ok?

Feeling a little overwhelmed now with this whole bottle / warming thing and feeling really stupid about it.  It seems so simple and I am just feeling frusterated with it.  I am attributing some of it to hormones but nevertheless it is stressing me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Playtex Ventaire bottles and bottle warmers?

• You should repost this on one of the baby boards. I'm a second time mom and never used a bottle warmer. We would use room temp water and then soak the bottle in really hot water until it was the right temp.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we used ventaires, and used a little dipper crockpot as a bottle warmer. 

Just fill it a little over half full with water, plug in a half hour or so before you're going to need it (or just keep it plugged in if you're not BFing). Took less than a minute to warm. 

• Loading the player...
  • we used ventaires too, which i really liked. if i ever needed to warm one, i just put it in a bowl of hot tap water. bottle warmers aren't necessary IMO. that being said, i only ever really warmed up cold breast milk. otherwise, ds would take room temp bottles just fine, which actually works out better. then if i was ever out and about or in a pinch i didn't need to worry about him only taking a warm bottle.
  • DD took her bottles cold, as in right out of the fridge. However, from working at a daycare the best way to warm a bottle was in hot water. Fill a bowl and put the bottle in it. Works like a charm. 

IMO, bottle warmers are a waste money. I'm sure some swear by them, but from what I've heard they are as good as using a bowl full of water. =o) 

• imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

we used ventaires, and used a little dipper crockpot as a bottle warmer. 

Just fill it a little over half full with water, plug in a half hour or so before you're going to need it (or just keep it plugged in if you're not BFing). Took less than a minute to warm. 

Never thought of using a crockpot, sounds like a good idea if needed!

I kinda want a bottle warmer so I can make and refrig bottles, but at the same time I would think warming up a bottle can take more time than making a room temp bottle when you have a screaming baby.  So first I am going to try to get LO to take room temp bottles.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageSpooners:

IMO, bottle warmers are a waste money. I'm sure some swear by them, but from what I've heard they are as good as using a bowl full of water. =o) 

I'm chuckling, because this was one of the very first things my BIL told us when we told everyone we were pregnant.  Like, I think he mentioned it within the first 10 minutes.  Big Smile

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just saw a baby barista on BRU website. I thought that would be great if you are going to primarily formula feed.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Just a note, for those opting to give their baby a room temperature bottle, if you are using "baby water", make sure you read the fine print on the label of the water bottle.  I bought Gerber's baby water in the gallon jug and was keeping it on the counter, making room temperature bottles mixed with powdered formula in my Ventaire bottles.  What could be easier, right?  Then I read the fine print and found that the water is supposed to be refrigerated after opening.  (Baby water is apparently preferable to regular bottled water, as it does not have things like Flouride, which regular (and even Nursery Water) has.)  So, I am forced to mix my formula with cold water and then warm it in the warmer.  But, the steam from the bottle warmer creates moisture which prevents the vent system in the Ventaire bottles from working as intended.  I find that, unless I loosen the bottom of the bottle, a vacuum of sorts is formed, and the baby gets nothing, no matter how hard she sucks.  Plus, loosening the bottom of the bottle usually makes a mess...  And, all of this when you least need it, in the middle of the night, when you are already exhausted, and just want to go back to bed!  If anyone has any recommendations regarding bottles that do well in bottle warmers, I'm all ears.  I love my Ventaires, but I love my sleep more!
  • I used the Munchkin brand bottle warmer and Ventair bottles. It helped. I swished around the milk to even out the warm spots. Before the warmer, I just ran the bottle under hot water.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"