Hawaii Babies
Options

Sophie the giraffe

I never bit the bullet and bought one for Bella, she was never interested in teethers or her fingers/hands, just sucking for comfort from me. Grayson is the total opposite, while he pretty much refuses pacis (once in a great while he'll take one for a few mins), he LOVES sucking his hands and fingers. I thought he might like Sophie. To me it seems like a dog toy but kids LOVE it so I thought, what the hell! Is it BPA free does anyone know? What are your thoughts on it? It's kind of expensive for a teether!

Re: Sophie the giraffe

• Options

We STILL use Sophie - best $20 I ever spent.  Love the thing and give it as a shower gift all the time.

It's made out of some kind of rubber, so I don't think BPA is a concern - that's only in plastics, right?

• Options

It is definately BPA free.

We bought one because we had heard about how fantastic they were, but Elyse never really took to it.  She prefers to chew/suck on a wash cloth soaked in cold water.  

It does seem more like a dog toy though :)  We had to work really hard on teaching our dog that it is a baby toy.  

Hopefully baby two likes it, and if he or she doesn't I hope my nieces and nephews like it :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO loves it.  That has been her only toy that she regularly goes back to. We actually have 2 (one for home & one for daycare).  I did read a few negative reviews on Amazon, but we never had any trouble with Sophie.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

yes it is expensive but Miss A loved it.  she goes through phases though...loved it when she was younger...then didn't care for it for a few months...then started playing with it a lot again. now she doesn't chomp on it much anymore (just occasionally) but she loves to play w/her, make her squeak, etc. and now that she can say Sophie it is super cute :)

as for cost, you can catch a good deal on it sometimes too... we got ours for about $12-13 and I've seen it several times for sale around the $15-16 mark.

imageHulaLove:
    It does seem more like a dog toy though :)  We had to work really hard on teaching our dog that it is a baby toy. 

hahaha we have this problem too! the squeaker in it drive our dog bonkers!!!

• Options

I didn't buy into the Sophie hype at first. I figured it was just another overpriced, trendy "it" toy that wouldn't work better than any other teether that was half the price, not to mention that it looked like a dog toy. And then my kids started teething, and for months, Sophie was an absolute LIFESAVER.

I don't know what it is about the giraffe that they liked better than other teethers - the soft texture of the rubber, the weight (they started teething very early and many teethers were too heavy for them to hold on their own for long periods - Sophie is very lightweight), the odd shape...maybe all of it together?

I will agree about the squeak having the potential to drive dogs crazy - one of our pooches loooooves squeaky toys and it was torture for him to have to sit and listen to them playing with their Sophies and not get to join in on the action lol!

Anyway, they are really awesome, to the point where now that I buy them for pregnant friends. Most of them give me an "Okaaaaaay" look, but like I tell them - you might not need or even want it now, but when your LO starts teething, you'll be SO happy you have it!

• Options

J never really took to it.  Even when I made sure it was always around. He plays with it as a toy now because he really likes giraffes.

Interestingly, he did decide he wanted a paci at about 6mo (peer pressure at school? haha) and even now wants one when he's teething. 

• Options

Ashton never took to it at all.  I'm not sure what happened to ours, but it no longer has the spots like it did when we first got it.

• Options

I didn't want to buy into the hype either, but LO didn't do paci... hell, he didn't do bottle either... so I figured I have to try SOMETHING to help sooth him.  Sophie was a great toy, teether, whatever you want to call it.  Yes it's a bit expensive, but my son uses it every day, so I consider it money well spent.

Side note, I was told that the spots are hand painted and part of the reason its so expensive.  I don't know how true that is...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"