Health & Exercise

Exercise helped have an easier labor?

I haven't posted on this board yet, but I was just curious about something. I workout/exercise 2-3 times a week and have been doing so for a while before getting pregnant. Does this make the whole labor/birthing process easier on your body? Does anyone have any experience or think that staying active and fit during pregnancy helped them have an easier or shorter labor? I have heard this before but not sure how true. Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Exercise helped have an easier labor?

• I looked at labor as training for a marathon.  I worked out all through my pregnancy and I had no complications or stretch marks.  My labor was easy and practically pain free (although I'm sure the epidural helped that).  I was back in my jeans and walking w/in a week.  With only 1 child I obviously have nothing to compare to, but I think working out and my attitude of training for something was a huge benefit.  I

just started upping my workouts and intensity so that I can keep up a good exercise routine with my next pregnancy, since they say during pregnancy you can do what ever you did before.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • I worked out at the gym until 36 weeks and kept walking on the treadmill until the day before I delivered my 9 lb 1 oz LO.  I was induced and had and epi, but I only pushed 4 times total.  I definitely think all the walking in the end helped LO drop into position and that the working out kept my muscles strong enough to push hard. I was walking on the treadmill (slowly, of course) about a week after delivery and cleared for all exercise at 3.5 weeks postpartum.  I know that each pregnancy and each person is different, but I will definitely keep up with my workout routine throughout my next pregnancy too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure if it was because of exercise or not, but I had a very quick and easy labor.  I worked out until the very end (including the night before I went into labor).  I almost went natural, but I panicked when I felt the urge to push and got an epidural at 9cm.  I was truly shocked at how fast things went.  If you feel ok, keep exercising!  I know it at least helped me tremendously in the last month.  My back really started aching, and the only thing that made me feel better was keeping spinning (albeit at a much slower pace!).
  • I ran daily 6-8 miles until I delivered at exactly 40 weeks, and also did abs and weight training throughout. I had a very fast and easy labor, lost all the baby weight when I gave birth and was able to run a full marathon two months after giving birth. The drs all said that my labor and recovery was so easy because I was so fit. I am doing the same with this baby and so far have not had any issues with this pregnancy either, and minimal weight gain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I ran through my entire pregnancy, with my last run two days before I delivered (the day before I delivered was a scheduled rest day). My LO wasn't in an optimal position going into labor, which resulted in a lot of back labor and a very long pushing phase... 5+ hours. While I can't say that my delivery was EASY because I was fit, I can say (and my midwife agrees) that being fit played a big role in providing me with the endurance I needed to push for five hours.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DD1, I worked out for part of my pregnancy, but spent some time on bed rest.  I had a very easy labor and delivery.  My recovery was pretty easy too, but I definitely lost some abdominal strength.  With DD2, I worked out my entire pregnancy.  I had a rockier L&D, though I only had to push for 30 seconds (may be exercise related, but is more likely linked to the fact she's #2).  Once I got passed the first 24 hours after DD2's birth, I felt amazing and had an even better recovery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Chiming in here too. I was a runner throughout most my pregnancy and also did prenatal yoga. I actually worked out the morning I ended up delivering. Labor was less than 4 hours, I only pushed for a minute. I couldn't have asked for a better L&D story. I thought my recovery was pretty smooth and didn't have any trouble losing baby weight. If you are feeling good and your dr okays it I say definitely keep up the exercise.
  • Some people say so but since you can't go through the same labor twice it's hard to say. Can't hurt, though.

I imagine that factors like baby size/pelvis size make more of a difference, honestly. I guess my labor wasn't too hard. I had to push for two hours even though my baby was tiny which surprised me because I was quite fit before pg, lift heavy weights, and had strong abdominals but I felt like I had never tried so hard at ANYTHING and wasn't making progress until I got an episiotomy. 

However, I bounced back after labor really fast and felt up to light exercise by 2-3 weeks which I think was, in part, because my body was used to recovering from intense exercise, KWIM?

• I think it helped. I just gave birth 6/17 and it was EASY. Contrax were a 7 on a scale from 1-10. I pushed for 45 min and bam he was here. I'm healing really well. I talked to my doc and she said I can work out 2 weeks PP, but low impact and light weight training. I worked out 5x a week while preg. and sports trained a year before conceiving (my trainer used a 10# weight vest). I can't wait to work out again to feel like a normal human being. I think it's harder when you can't work out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I may be the case where I didn't have an fast labor/delivery.  Easy, I guess so...recovery was fine so maybe exercise helped there?

With DD baby #1- I worked out 5 days a week.  (Swim/spin/weights/elliptical)  Went to spin class the night before I delivered, went to the gym during labor and did elliptical and stationary bike and realized the cramping (aka labor) was not going away.  I was in labor 30 hours (pushing 3 of those).  Like I said, recovery was fine, just a really long labor.

With DS baby #2- I taught spin class 2x per week till 36 weeks.  I ran till 39 weeks, 4 days (3 days before I went into labor).  My labor lasted exactly 24 hours, only pushing for 20 min (could be 2nd child sort of thing).  Recovery was great, ran a half marathon 13 weeks after DS was born.

DD baby #3- Teaching spin class 1x per week till 36 weeks.  Ran my last 5k at 30 weeks.  My working out has slowed down due to more RLP this time around but I'm expecting another long labor.  :(  I think that's just how my body works.

Post partum I was working out within 3-4 weeks and lost baby weight pretty quickly so perhaps my fitness helped more with that in my case. 

• I was very active through both of my pregnancies (worked out an average of 6 days a week. . . I was teaching group fitness classes through my pregnancy with my son and taught to 41 weeks).

My DD was a scheduled c-section (breech) and my recovery was a breeze.  She was 8 lbs. 15 oz.

My DS was a VBAC and labor took just about 7 hours from first contraction to baby.  He was 9 lbs. 12 oz.  No meds.  Easy recovery.

Back to PP weight by my 6 week appointments.

I definitely think that exercise helped me snap back.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • alindtalindt member
    I only have gone through this once so far, so no comparisons. But I worked out through my entire pregnancy. I went into labor right on my due date, I dilated fairly quickly (or at least, to me, it seemed quick). My water broke at 3 am and I was ready to start pushing (fully dilated) at noon. I also had an epi. I had to push for a really long time (3 hours) and they had to use the vacuum to get my baby out (I don't think this had anything to do with exercising or not, I guess I have narrow hips or something, plus it was my first child). Doc said baby was stuck behind my pelvic bone and I just couldn't push him out. I did not get stretch marks on my tummy (some on my thighs though) and I was back attempting to jog at about 3-4 weeks pp. except that I had horrible incontinence, so I stopped trying to run for a while because pee would just come out every time started running, then just said screw it and bought Poise pads and ran with those. So, I don't know if it helps labor but it definitely helped me feel better during pregnancy. I did not get swollen ankles, I only gained 25-30 pounds and I was back in my pre-prego clothes basically right away. I would suggest you keep working out. Labor for me was more exhausting than I ever imagined. I was sweaty, out of breath and all my muscles were sore afterwards. Arms, calves, quads, shoulders, everything, to the point where I could barely lift them. It was very surprising to me, but then again, i was at it for 3 hours. If you only have to push for a little bit, it might not be that bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i walked 4 miles a day up until the day i delivered. my labor was long & it was not easy (i was induced at 37w5d for medical concerns for baby and i went natural so that was part of it not being easy.) i really don't think i could have had the birth i wanted, though, had i not been so fastidious with exercising. i had a 28 hour labor and i KNOW that my exercise helped give me the stamina to get through it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely believe that being in great shape makes labor easier! Personally, I had a rough delivery but I'm convinced that I would have ended up with a c-section if I hadn't been in good shape from runnign my entire pregnancy. My DD got stuck behind my pelvis and I ended up pushing for almost five hours. It sucked but because I ran, swam, did the elliptical, and continued to lift weights throughout my pregnancy I was able to continue pushing and avoid a c-section. I had a bad tear but again, that was because my DD came out sideways. I can't imagine what my delivery would have looked like if I hadn't been an avid exerciser during pregnancy!

• Did it help with endurance, yes. Quick delivery, nope.

I was very active during my pregnancy( worked out 6xs a week for 1-1.5 hours, ran 3 half marathons and 7 other races, lifted weights, etc.).

I worked out all the way until she was born at 39 weeks. However, she was induced. The induction was easy, but I ended up pushing for 4 hours. There was nothing quick about it.

On the bright side, recovery was a breeze.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"