Multiples

white blood cell mass - anyone heard of this?

DD has had this weird spot on her head that had been inflaming from time to time and then otherwise, was a discoloration on her head. I had taken her to the pedi, who had to refer me to a dermatologist. We saw him yesterday and he said he was almost certain (without doing a biopsy) that it was a white blood cell mass.  He said that it likely wouldn't be anything to worry about and will probably go away on it's own in a few years. In rare cases, people get numerous ones all over their body and I guess that's when there is more to worry about. Since hers hadn't spread, it isn't likely that it ever will. He started talking about possible blood cell problems that could occur, so I asked if he meant cancer and he did, but said that it was highly unlikely if she just has this one spot.  He is going to see her again in 3 months to just make sure nothing is changing. I tried googling it, but didn't really come up with much.

Just wondering if anyone has heard about anything like this? Anything with cell abnormalities and the possiblity of cancer, of course, freaks me out, so I just want to learn more.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: white blood cell mass - anyone heard of this?

• Why would he go as far as saying that it could be related to cancer or other blood cell problems - those are some scary diagnoses without a biopsy?  I would maybe seek a second opinion.
  • he was careful not to say anything about cancer and only responded to my question when I asked if it ever resulted in cancer, he only said it was a slight possibility in some extreme cases and was certain to let me know that he thought it was highly unlikely.  I used to work for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, so whenever I hear "white blood cell," I think the worst.
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was 16 or 17 I had these weird masses show up on my elbow and side of my foot, and I was concerned because I had a small amount of numbness in my hand and foot.  I went to a dermatologist, and he did biopsy them, and found that they were a collection of white blood cells. The numbness was from the masses pressing on nerves. I never got an explanation for why they appeared, but they slowly disappeared over the next 6mo to a year. That was 15 years ago, and I've never had anything like it again, and I'm healthy.  Hoping your DD experiences the same!
    bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Oh okay, it originally sounded like he was just "throwing it out there".  Sorry I don't have any experience with this and I hope it just turns out to be something benign that they just monitor.
  • imageAlishaMay:
    When I was 16 or 17 I had these weird masses show up on my elbow and side of my foot, and I was concerned because I had a small amount of numbness in my hand and foot.  I went to a dermatologist, and he did biopsy them, and found that they were a collection of white blood cells. The numbness was from the masses pressing on nerves. I never got an explanation for why they appeared, but they slowly disappeared over the next 6mo to a year. That was 15 years ago, and I've never had anything like it again, and I'm healthy.  Hoping your DD experiences the same!

I couldn't remember what it was called, so I asked my mom (she's a nurse, so I knew she'd remember).  It's Granuloma Annulare.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • imageAlishaMay:

imageAlishaMay:
    When I was 16 or 17 I had these weird masses show up on my elbow and side of my foot, and I was concerned because I had a small amount of numbness in my hand and foot.  I went to a dermatologist, and he did biopsy them, and found that they were a collection of white blood cells. The numbness was from the masses pressing on nerves. I never got an explanation for why they appeared, but they slowly disappeared over the next 6mo to a year. That was 15 years ago, and I've never had anything like it again, and I'm healthy.  Hoping your DD experiences the same!

I couldn't remember what it was called, so I asked my mom (she's a nurse, so I knew she'd remember).  It's Granuloma Annulare.

Thanks AlishaMay! That's reassuring. It sounds alot like what DD has.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"