Pregnant after IF

Anyone have a CGH test done on their embryos?

It is supposed to test for more chromosomes than the PGD. I was wondering if anyone had success with it. Please state your age since this seems to be tied into the situation. I am 40. Why did you have it done if you did?

Re: Anyone have a CGH test done on their embryos?

• We participated in a study- they called it PGD but it tested all the chromosomes. I don't know if it's the same thing you are talking about- is CGH the one where they have to freeze the embies because it takes too long to get the results? What we did gave quick results so that the embies could still be transferred fresh. We ended up in the control group so the embies that we transferred didn't get tested but our frosties did get tested before they were frozen. All 3 came back genetically normal. I'm 26 and we only did it because my RE was doing a study and we saw no reason not to participate. Since I had previously had a m/c, it was nice to know that we could make healthy embies.

I tried to find you a link to the study: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01219283 

m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • imagelucubratrix:

I did! I was 29 at age of IVF. My doctor was therefore not recommending it, but we asked to do it when we had way more eggs retrieved than expected, and then a lot of embryos making it to blastocyst. We decided very spur of the moment to do it because the cost of the CGH was less than the cost of two frozen embryo transfers at our clinic, and with fourteen blastocysts (and plans to have 3-4 more kids) we figured that it might save us more than two frozen embryo transfers to have the testing done. Also, I'd had multiple losses so I really wanted to do everything I could to avoid having another miscarriage... and it looked like we wouldn't have to pay for another fresh IVF cycle like we'd been budgeting for.

Probably because of my age, all of my blastocysts LOOKED nice (nearly all had a 5AA rating), but out of 13 tested blastocysts (all the ones we froze), only 6 were chromosomally normal. We transferred one and I'm now 24 weeks pregnant. I am really happy we did the testing because it meant that we avoided transferring a blastocyst with trisomy 18, which is a condition that is not compatible with life outside the womb (stillbirth or death within the first month of life). Also, it was definitely cost effective for us, since we will now be doing FETs that have a 70% chance of leading to a take-home baby.

So they do the CGH at the blastocyst stage, not Day 3 embryo ?- I'm in NY
  • Loading the player...
  • How long did it take for the results?
  • JenCWJenCW member

We did testing of all chromosones and had a 5dt of one embie. 

I am 38 (37 at the time of IVF).  Of the 11 embies tested, five were normal, and one of those arrested from the test.  I have poor egg quality, and all that were abnormal were due to the egg.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jcathjcath member

I had CGH done with Genesis genetics as well. My RE prefers to do the testing on day 5 so the  plan was to freeze the embies and transfer the best ones the following month.  I had 16 retrieved but only 6 fertilized.  They biopsied them all but only froze one.  All 6 had "catastrophic genetic abnormalities"  I'm glad we did it b/c it made the decision to move to DE very easy.

I'm 40, I have two children I had in my 20s with no fertility treatment but did have a miscarriage in my 20s, I concieved naturally when I was 39 but had a fetal demise at 17 weeks.  My FSH, AMH and all other test are great.  I think my RE guessed this was going to be the outcome b/c he really pushed me to do it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejcath:

I had CGH done with Genesis genetics as well. My RE prefers to do the testing on day 5 so the  plan was to freeze the embies and transfer the best ones the following month.  I had 16 retrieved but only 6 fertilized.  They biopsied them all but only froze one.  All 6 had "catastrophic genetic abnormalities"  I'm glad we did it b/c it made the decision to move to DE very easy.

I'm 40, I have two children I had in my 20s with no fertility treatment but did have a miscarriage in my 20s, I concieved naturally when I was 39 but had a fetal demise at 17 weeks.  My FSH, AMH and all other test are great.  I think my RE guessed this was going to be the outcome b/c he really pushed me to do it. 

Did you have assisted hatching? I noticed you transferred one embie. What was your FSH and AMH that you had such a poor quality of eggs?
  • imagelucubratrix:

The CGH testing can be done at either day 3 or at day 5 (blastocyst where they take some trophectoderm cells). We decided to actually do the CGH on day 3 (when we found out we had 23 embryos in the running) so we were running around getting paperwork signed and arranging details then. Obviously, the paperwork needs to be done and the embryologists needed some advance warning to do the biopsy, too... so that definitely influenced why we ended up with a day 5 rather than day 3 biopsy.

Our embryologists also prefer to do the biopsy on day 5 rather than day 3 (it's easier, you get more cells, less likely to damage the embryo), if there's not a reason for trying to get the result back in time for a fresh transfer. (We decided to transfer one embryo fresh and biopsy the rest. I had a chemical pregnancy, pretty likely due to chromosomal abnormality of the untested embryo.)

Anyway, the company we used is Genesis Genetics, and this is the particular test: https://www.genesisgenetics.org/genesis-24.html

The 24 refers to the fact that you can get results back in 24 hours. If your embryologists do day 3 biopsies then you could do the test and get the results back just in time for a fresh transfer on day 5.

I was told by my RE that they try not to due CGH on day 5 blastocyst because many may get destroyed in the thawing process. They use Genesis too.
  • imagelucubratrix:

Basically, the way it worked for us is that our clinic did the biopsy of the embryos, and then they sent the samples off to Genesis, and since we weren't in a super-rush they actually ran the analysis on the ones that made it to blast. It took us longer than 24 hours to get the results back since we weren't waiting on a transfer, but it was definitely the next week. 

Our doctor and coordinator agreed when we got the results back that we made a really good decision in pushing to do the CGH. In subsequent conversations they said they suspect the face of IVF will be majorly changed by this technology such that in a few years it'll be standard practice, especially so that one embryo can be transferred and have high success rates rather than just picking two or three or four that "look good". 

(I had a really strong desire to avoid being pregnant with multiples, and that was another big factor in deciding to do this test.)

I was also told that CGH on Day 3 does not pick up on the mosaics of older women.
  • imageJenCW:

We did testing of all chromosones and had a 5dt of one embie. 

I am 38 (37 at the time of IVF).  Of the 11 embies tested, five were normal, and one of those arrested from the test.  I have poor egg quality, and all that were abnormal were due to the egg.

So you did PGD /CGH, transferred one embie and are do at the end of this month, with one baby? Did you do CVS or Amnio?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"