Parenting
Options

wasp help

We had a deck built last spring.  We are now noticing this spring that wasps are making nests under the railings of the deck.  The deck builders placed 2x4s on either side of the posts and the wasps are flying under them and building nests.  We were out there tonight sealing the deck and I got stung by one.  I don't want the kids to get stung, but I want to enjoy our deck.  Anyone have any ways to keep the wasps from moving in??

Re: wasp help

• Options
    Invite your Jewish friends over - the wasps will leave.
  • Options
    Wasp spray the nests and buy a trap to prevent future nests (they sell them at Home Depot and catch the queens when they migrate to make new nests). We used to get them until we put up the traps. The traps have to be placed away from the house since they attract the buggers.
    Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageCbidt's girl:

Ouch 

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • Options
    justEKjustEK member
    imageRebekah1021:

imageCbidt's girl:

Ouch 

I'm trying to figure out where this came from!

• Options
    imagejustEK:
    imageRebekah1021:

imageCbidt's girl:

Ouch 

I'm trying to figure out where this came from!

oh, come on ladies, no one saw the set up in her last line? "How do we keep the wasps from moving in?". I was just joking. The opening was too huge to ignore. Lighten up a little.
  • Options
    justEKjustEK member
    Ha! I'm clueless. I thought it stemmed from an old post. Oh well.
  • Options
    imagejustEK:
    Ha! I'm clueless. I thought it stemmed from an old post. Oh well.
    oh no! I didn't mean anything personal at all. I just read that last line and the first thought was "invite someone Jewish over". I was probably channeling my late grandmother who always felt that her presence (we are Jewish) created migration out of previously "WASP" neighborhoods.
  • Options
    Wow, all I did was ask a simple question.  Thank you Joyce for actually giving some help. 
  • Options
    I know this sounds crazy, but it worked at my uncle's house.  He read online somewhere to take brown paper lunch bags and crumple them up and stick them in random places - to the wasps they apparently look like a large, established nests, and no new ones will move in.  His deck used to be awful with wasps and this year, there are none. 
    Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• Options

imageJenniC1135:
    I know this sounds crazy, but it worked at my uncle's house.  He read online somewhere to take brown paper lunch bags and crumple them up and stick them in random places - to the wasps they apparently look like a large, established nests, and no new ones will move in.  His deck used to be awful with wasps and this year, there are none. 

Thanks...I'll have to try that one!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"