North Florida Babies
Options

Jacksonville & area hospitals

I don't know a lot of women who have given birth in the past few years.  Those that I do know, I'm not in contact with or that personal with to begin with.  It's been very interesting reading the last few posts about different expectations that come with different hospitals.  Is there something online that actually compares the birthing experiences of the different hospitals...like if they are pushy with intervention, if they will not allow the infant to stay with the mother (or allow the father to shadow if the baby is removed from the mother's site), if they only say they are VBAC friendly or if they follow through...that sort of thing?  In a previous post I was told Shands was not an ideal place to go, but reason/story attached to the statement. I thought with the neonatal facilities there that it would be a better place if something should go wrong, for example.  The St. Vincent's thread was interesting to me because my OB (whom I'm switching from because his hospital will not allow VBACs) suggested I try there or Baptist, and then last week even suggested Shands.  I've not even begun looking for pediatricians yet because I'm trying to locate an OB/Hospital.  So...is there some sort of graph or comparison sheet or feedback area that I should be in the know about?  Or are there strong examples (like some of the pointers regarding St. Vincents) that we can share regarding Jax & area hospitals?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Jacksonville & area hospitals

• Options

We (ICAN) have been trying to put together a list of reviews regarding birth place and practitioners.  So far, we don't have much information.  I'll refocus on that this week, lol!

I'll post what I know late tonight, and hopefully you'll get other responses.

Have you joined our ICAN FB group yet? https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_126796394019515 There are several recent birth stories at local hospitals.  You may get some more ideas there!

BFP 1/6/12 TTC#2 since June 2010 Diagnosed PCOS and started Metformin December 2011 BabyFruit Ticker DS1 - Jack 9/28/08 Birth Doula and ICAN Leader
  • Options

Thanks - just sent in a request to the FB group.  

Please keep me/us informed if you have updates on birth place and practitioners.  It's really like reinventing a wheel out here. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello, I know the feeling, soon after I moved to Jax I was pregnant and didn't even have a regular OB here. I started at North FL OBGYN at St. Vincents and I just wasn't comfortable there. I transferred to North FL at Baptist South and I loved it. The staff is so friendly and I am seen on time. The hospital is BEAUTIFUL and very clean. They respected all my wishes for my sons birth. I wanted to go natural and my nurse helped me through it the entire time, all 12 hours :) (I didn't take any previous childbirth classes). Our son stayed in the room almost the entire time, by our choice and when he was not Daddy was right beside him. I was very determined to BF and they total allowed me to do so. They did not give him a bottle, he had slight jaundice and had to be in the incubator for 8 hours and the nurse let me pump and feed him with a syringe and they did not give him a pacifier as I asked. I am not familiar with their procedures on VBAC, as this was my first. We are now expecting our second child in September and I am staying with the same practice and location. The one thing I wasnt to fond of was having to see all of the doctors at NFOBGYN because they want you to feel more comfortable if the doctor you prefer is not on call the day you go into labor. I just wasn't use to having to see so many different OBs but they are all great. (Dr Greenhaw delievered my first). I personally would not go to Shands unless absolutely necessary. It is a high trauma hospital and I don't doubt that their doctors are good. However, it is in an extremely bad part of town and that doesn't make me comfortable. (Also, prior to the name being changed to Shands it was University Hospital and a baby was kidnapped by a nurse- aprox 25 years ago i believe? And the parents haven't seen the child since.) As far as pediatricians go, our son sees Dr Emanuel at Baptist Pediatrics on San Jose, once again have no complaints and our second child will be going there as well. Sorry for rambling, hope I could help
  • Options

Thanks for all the feedback, MommaE.

The thing that is turning me off of Shands is that it is a training hospital.  I adore that their trauma units are so spectacular, honestly.  We are also new homeowners in the Springfield district (we're one of the families who are trying to turn the area around by investing in the area).  I admit our area, where Shands would be the closest hospital, is not the most attractive, as compared to Riverside/Avondale (you'd be familiar with that area if you were a St.Vincent patient for a while) but we actually have a lower crime rate than that area.  

Still, I will admit, it's not as attractive to me as a hospital choice once I get beyond the tech advantages should I or the baby need them. 

• Options
    I had my son at Baptist Downtown, it was a great experience. The staff was very polite and helpful. I haven't heard good things about Shands maternity, a friend had 2 of her children there. (And it is definately in a bad neighborhood.) That is where her insurance covered. I have a doctor at St. Vincents, but am unsure if I will stay. If anyone has ANY views on St. Vincents, please let me know. The nurse at my doctors office called my son (2) a hellion, did not care too much for that. It may be my deal breaker. There are very few doctors on my insurance list that practice at Baptist Downtown where I would rather go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"