Pre-School and Daycare

What age is ok for a low loft bed/bunk bed?

Ok, so we live in a teeny 2 bdr townhome (4 bathroom but 2 bedrooms- ugh!).  The baby will have to sleep with DS eventually.  So, my thought was to have a loft bed for DS.  Not one that is as high as a bunk bed, but a bit of a lift off the floor so that we could put toys underneath and he could play there.  I am just starting my search online for such things, and I do think they might exist.  But how old do you think a kid needs to be to be off the floor a bit?  I guess a ladder (even if it only has 3-4 rungs) is kind of dangerous.

Thoughts?

Maybe something like this: https://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=loft+bed+for+toddler&hl=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=3&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1400&bih=853&wrapid=tlif130931151640310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6515017685470852889&sa=X&ei=IYMKTqjeMPK40AHzyfSzBQ&ved=0CI4BEPMCMAA#

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What age is ok for a low loft bed/bunk bed?

• We had DS1 in a twin bed at almost 2 years old when DS2 was born (2008).  Just this past March, we bought a bunk bed and DS1 is on the top bunk and DS2 is on the bottom bunk. DS2 will be 3 in a couple weeks.  But DS2 thinks it's more fun sleeping on the top bunk, so he and his big brother sleep up there together. : )

The bunk bed we have we got at Slumberland. It is solid pine, I believe, and instead of a ladder (which I didn't want) it has steps/stairs up the side.  

https://www.slumberland.com/furniture/Products/Stairway-Collection---Twin-over-Twin-Bunk-Bed__PWDCR16.aspx

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Ever since I've know SS he has had a bunk bed in his room (we met at age 18 mos.) He never slept on the top bunk until friends or cousins came over but he could climb up there on his own and everything.  He is very mature however, and very cautious so I would say it depends on the child.

Photobucket
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We are getting ready for our 2 to share a room in preparation for #3. I looked into a ton of different bed options including low lofts, higher bunk beds, etc. I ultimately decided that at 4 DD just wasn't ready.  She gets up at least once a night, and I don't want her having to navigate a ladder half asleep. I mean during those wakings she can have difficulty navigating climbing on and off the potty. I have no concerns about her using the ladder fully awake.  I just can't get past the middle of the night wakings, so we'll just do regular twin beds.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Most places will tell you age 6.  I know many of my friends would not even let their 6 year olds sleep on a bunk or loft bed though.  We have a trundle bed for my 5 year old and for the 1st 6 months, we kept the bottom bed pulled out a bit as it is a little high and she has been in a twin bed since she was 18 months old and has only fallen out 1x.  It took her time to learn to get onto the bed and get off safely when she needs to get up to go potty in the middle of the night.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • My oldest have been in a Junior Loft for about 3 months.  I'd say it all depends on your comfort level and your child.  My kid is a crazy good climber.  My youngest can easily climb it and he's not quite 2 1/2 but he still needs, or prefers some help come down.
  • My SIL is giving us her bunk bed for our boys but I"m thinking they won't be ready until at least next summer (oldest will be almost 5, youngest will be 2.)  If we think our oldest is not ready for the top bunk, he can sleep on the trundle instead.  Right now they each have their own room but I'd like to move them to one and keep all the toys and mess in one place!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My son is four and we got him a bunkbed (smaller set) he does fine getting up and down. However, when his 2 yr old cousin comes over he is always climbing up on it and that makes me extremely nervous. So it would worry me more so for the littlest one on the bottom.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"