Breastfeeding
Options

Why do I keep getting clogged ducts?

This happens at least once a week if not more.  I am EPing and pumping 5 times a day.  Is there something I'm doing that is causing this?

TIA!

Re: Why do I keep getting clogged ducts?

• Options

I get clogged ducts sometimes when I go too long inbetween pumping sessions while awake.  Even though I can sleep for 6 hours or more without pumping without a problem, my limit is 5 hours in between sessions during the day. 

GL! I hope you can solve the problem soon. Such a PIA problem to have!

*Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • Options

Try taking Lecithin supplements.  You can get them at any drugstore.  I had to take them with DS #1 because my milk was really thick and I had chronic clogged ducts and milk blisters.  You can read about it on kellymom.com.  I was able to get down to 2 pills a day with no problem, but anything less than that and BAM!  I started out with the recommended 4 pills per day for a while...and slowly got down to 2.  I talked to LC's about this method too, and they supported it.  So far, I haven't done Lecithin this time around...but when I pump I see how thick and creamy my milk is and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to use the supplements again.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You may want to try the angled flanges from Pumpin Pal. I have personally had a significant reduction in plugged ducts and heard from several friends that they have helped. They allow more of the areola to be sucked clearing more ducts similar to the way a baby latches. Plus, they are much more comfortable to use than the regular style flanges.
  • Options
    I have had two annoying but both I got when I went too long in between pumpings/feedings. Maybe you should talk to your doctor!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"