February 2012 Moms

Is Dairy Queen a no-no?

What about Goodberry's (frozen custard)?

<3<3 "You know my name, not my story.
You've heard what I've done, not what I've been through.
If you were in my shoes, you'd fall the first step." <3<3

Re: Is Dairy Queen a no-no?

• why is dairy queen a no no?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It's the soft serve machine- the spout collects germs and you can get listeriosis (sp?) from it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Expecting #2 In June 2014
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow I never knew that was an issue. I think it would probably be very unlikely for you to get anything from the soft serve machine. Especially if you're eating from there in moderation. Unless you're licking the spout maybe...
  • imageLena122:
    Wow I never knew that was an issue. I think it would probably be very unlikely for you to get anything from the soft serve machine. Especially if you're eating from there in moderation. Unless you're licking the spout maybe...

Hahah the visual on this is great

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLena122:
    Wow I never knew that was an issue. I think it would probably be very unlikely for you to get anything from the soft serve machine. Especially if you're eating from there in moderation. Unless you're licking the spout maybe...

Ick!

• My OB told me that as long as I was going to a reputable place, and not a little random dairy shack, it would be fine. Listeria is an issue when the machines are not cleaned. DQ and most other places that serve ice cream take apart and sanitize their machines and spouts every day.
    Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm not going to go booze it up and I get not eating unpauserized (sp) cheese but some of the "rules" go a bit far. If I want an occasional soft serve ice cream I'm going to go for it.

I'm an oncology nurse and my chemo patients have extremly suppressed immune systems. Our rules for them are no buffets,unpasusterized cheese or milk, and don't eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables unless you are somewhere where you know they have been washed properly (home or friend/family member's house).

I'm not knocking other's choices but I think moderation must come in somewhere.

• I had some last week- so far so good.  I get dairy queen once every few months at the very most, probably less.  This seems like a ridiculous worry to me.  
    TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• imagekarleegirl:

I'm not going to go booze it up and I get not eating unpauserized (sp) cheese but some of the "rules" go a bit far. If I want an occasional soft serve ice cream I'm going to go for it.

I'm an oncology nurse and my chemo patients have extremly suppressed immune systems. Our rules for them are no buffets,unpasusterized cheese or milk, and don't eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables unless you are somewhere where you know they have been washed properly (home or friend/family member's house).

Well said!

There are rules on how often those machines have to be cleaned.  We used to have a slushie machine on the unit when I worked in a peds hospital, we ended up getting rid of it because the nurses didn't have time to clean it as often as it was required.  These rules are a priority at a restaurant/business.  

TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • imagekarleegirl:

I'm not going to go booze it up and I get not eating unpauserized (sp) cheese but some of the "rules" go a bit far. If I want an occasional soft serve ice cream I'm going to go for it.

I'm an oncology nurse too!! 

• imagejen-dale:
    Listeria is an issue when the machines are not cleaned. DQ and most other places that serve ice cream take apart and sanitize their machines and spouts every day.

Yup spent 5+ years working at a DQ in highschool and college, the machines got cleaned and sanitized (inside and out) every night.  

Enjoy!

• I cannot tell you how happy these responses are making me.  I have been craving all things cold, especially soft serve.  I had the same thoughts that any reputable and well-maintained restaurant/shop would be fine to eat, but I was worried I was rationalizing its safety because of my cravings.  Now, if only places were open on The Fourth...
  • I say you need your calcium! :)
  • I worked in food service all through highschool and college and we cleaned our machine every other night without exception and cleaned the spouts/caps multiple times daily.  The ice cream tester comes randomly once a month and the bacteria standard level is so low that i am sure your kitchen counter carries more bacteria than are allowed in the ice cream.  If you fail the monthly test you have to post a letter from the health department saying so for 90 days stating the date range for which you failed.  Enjoy your Icecream!!!! I know I am!
    santasmall Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemanda42:
    It's the soft serve machine- the spout collects germs and you can get listeriosis (sp?) from it. 

wow... I can't believe that's a 'rule' I will be enjoying my DQ to the full extent (just like last pregnancy where I think I ate my weight in DQ in one month.)

Kristin & Dave

Happy Easter

My Blog

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Well if we are talking not going to DQ about the germs on the spouts then we should put into consideration other places like *choke back tears* Cold Stone (i sometimes wonder due to a friend be deathly allergic to nuts how well they clean the scoops each new icecream that bucket of water looks nasty), McDonalds (they have soft serve and do they even wear gloves to make the sandwhiches), or any fast food place for that matter.  Think about the counters where they make the food, store the papers to wrap the food in etc.... Just a thought but I would avoid the Soft Serve ice cream places that you would Serve urself as those spouts would prolly be nastier than those used by workers etc. 
  • imagebecky515:
    imagekarleegirl:

I'm an oncology nurse too!! 

I love onc! I have done it 9 years, it's hard but def. A calling.
  • imagekarleegirl:

This. I just can't give every last little thing up. Food safety in the United States so far surpasses the majority of the world that I think a lot of the recommendations for us KU ladies gets out of control. I do avoid hot dogs and lunch meats (whether pregnant or not) but that is because I think these are totally full of fillers, preservatives, colorings and just general crap. I'm almost to ten weeks along and have been living in a third world country all along. The water here isn't potable and food safety is laughable. But I've been as careful as I can be and baby and I are doing great. 

Bring on the Dairy Queen - just as soon as I get back to the US.... 

Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• I lived on peanut buster parfait blizzards last summer while I was pregnant! Go for it. Now I need DQ...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"