High-Risk Pregnancy

GD= Automatic early induction?

Hey fellow GD moms!

I was wondering if it is typical for most practitioners to induce early if you have GD?  I believe my office will start talking induction at 39 weeks if favorable with GD.  I haven't spoken to my doctor specifically, but it seems as though based on friends who delivered with the practice, 39 weeks seems to be the norm.

What is your doctor's "game plan" look like for GD mommas?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GD= Automatic early induction?

• 42 weeks, but I was diet-controlled so there wasn't a concern about the insulin producing a bigger baby or breaking down the placenta prematurely. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will be induced at 39 weeks if LO hasnt come sooner.  That's the norm at my practice.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If diet controlled my OB lets you go to 40 weeks.  I was to be induced at 39 weeks because I'm on glyburide.  But due to pre-e I'm being induced tonight at 37w1d!
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSarafuss:
    If diet controlled my OB lets you go to 40 weeks.  I was to be induced at 39 weeks because I'm on glyburide.  But due to pre-e I'm being induced tonight at 37w1d!
    Good luck!
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm hoping to go into labor naturally, because I really don't want to be induced. My doctor hasn't mentioned anything yet about his standard on how long to let his patients with GD go before delivery. I hope as long as things keep going okay that he'll just let me go to 40 weeks (or whenever I start to go into labor).
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My doc is the same way - 39 weeks. My old OB I used with my DD's pregnancy is also the same with 39 weeks.
  • I was induced on my due date.  I was diet controlled, but their policy was to not let GD moms go past their due date.  DD was small and my fluid levels looked fine, but I'm guessing they didn't want to take any chances on having complications.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagechicsub:
    42 weeks, but I was diet-controlled so there wasn't a concern about the insulin producing a bigger baby or breaking down the placenta prematurely. 

Uncontrolled blood sugars produce a bigger baby. Insulin controls blood sugars, so insulin does not produce bigger babies.

OP, my OB with DD would induce all insulin-dependent GD patients at 39 weeks. Diet controlled were closely monitored and some induced at 39 weeks, some allowed to go to 40 weeks. My current OB likes to let diet controlled patients go into labor on their own (before 41 weeks, but with close monitoring). Insulin patients they look at on a case by case basis, so I will be discussing our game plan with him this week.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:

imagechicsub:
    42 weeks, but I was diet-controlled so there wasn't a concern about the insulin producing a bigger baby or breaking down the placenta prematurely. 

Uncontrolled blood sugars produce a bigger baby. Insulin controls blood sugars, so insulin does not produce bigger babies.

OP, my OB with DD would induce all insulin-dependent GD patients at 39 weeks. Diet controlled were closely monitored and some induced at 39 weeks, some allowed to go to 40 weeks. My current OB likes to let diet controlled patients go into labor on their own (before 41 weeks, but with close monitoring). Insulin patients they look at on a case by case basis, so I will be discussing our game plan with him this week.

This is how my OB is now. I am having a repeat c-section anyway.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am diet controlled so my doctor is giving me until 40 weeks and a few days. If my body is not at all ready for labor and baby still looks good per u/s she will consider letting me go until 41.
  • sraexxsraexx member
    Eek!, I need to find out, I haven't even asked. I am hoping to go au natural!
    BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesraexx:
    Eek!, I need to find out, I haven't even asked. I am hoping to go au natural!

You still have plenty of time. My doctor and I didn't talk induction until my 36 week visit, and even then it was a casual thing instead of set in stone.

• I was going to be "helped along" at 39 weeks, but they would let me go as far as my due date before taking more active measures to get the baby out. Luckily, I went into labor naturally, although a bit early, so I didn't have to worry about being induced. I've heard it's pretty standard practice to not have the mom go past 39 weeks. I was also diet-controlled and had a very small baby, but they were still talking induction at 39 weeks.
    Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSarafuss:
    If diet controlled my OB lets you go to 40 weeks.  I was to be induced at 39 weeks because I'm on glyburide. 
    This is my practices policy as well... I will be induced at 39 weeks bc of being on glyburide.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• My OB stated that as long as I stayed diet dontrolled they would not induce until 40 weeks.  However, they do like to "strip membranes" around 38 weeks.  Hopefully I can keep it under control since I would like to labor naturally!!
    TTC#1 11.1.2010 |  BFP 1.4.2011 | Benton Henry born 9.13.2011

TTC #2 11.1.2013 | BFP 12.17.13 | Due Date 8.22.14

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"