Military Families

Newborn enrollment in DEERS & Tricare

We're due in about six weeks, and I'm reading up on what we need to do to get LO enrolled in DEERS and Tricare.  I know I need to have his birth certificate before we can enroll him, so I guess it will be a few weeks after birth until we get that.  I'm on Standard and want LO on Standard as well, so I assume it will work pretty much like it did for me, that Standard will be retroactive to his birth date?  And since he won't have a dependent ID, will I just show mine when I take him to the pediatrician?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newborn enrollment in DEERS & Tricare

• I am having my first so I don't know the fine details yet, but I think the hospital gives you a certificate of live birth so you can take that instead of waiting for the birth certificate. You should probably just call the DEERS office and ask.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just took in the BC that the hospital gave me to DEERs.  With DD#1 we were assigned a PCM on base at first and with DD#2 I went to the Tricare office and filled out the paper work for her PCM (we were prime though).  I believe you have 60 days after birth to enroll them. As far as DR appts and the such, I just presented my ID when I lived on base with DD#1 before we went prime because of her medical issues.
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't remember all the details, but my hospital had a briefing on this a few months ago.  I know you have 60 days to enroll the baby in DEERS after the birth.  I am 90% sure it goes retroactive.  I know the people at the briefing said that the newborn automatically has either Tricare Prime or Standard for the first (60??) days after birth as long as you enroll in DEERS within the time frame.

I'd call or go down to your Tricare Services office in the hospital if you can.  

Best of luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The hosptial will give you the paperwork for a live birth. You take that paperwork along with your H (if you can its so much easier that way) to the Deers office. They will enrolle them into Deers, they will assign your LO a temporay SSN and once you get LO's in the mail you just take that in and update it. You use your ID card if the baby is with you at appointments and your H will use his if the baby is with him.

Since you are wanting the baby to stay on standard you will need to drop by the tricare office and ask them to drop the baby from prime because they are automatically enrolled into Prime for the first 60days after birth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Take the crib card to DEERS. You will then have 180 days to bring the SSN to them. You will then need to go to Tricare office or call them to have a PCM assigned. 

I just had to do all this in the last two weeks :) PCM assignment. That is for Prime only :)

Edit- Ignore the  

• imagetwest0508:
    We're due in about six weeks, and I'm reading up on what we need to do to get LO enrolled in DEERS and Tricare.  I know I need to have his birth certificate before we can enroll him, so I guess it will be a few weeks after birth until we get that.  I'm on Standard and want LO on Standard as well, so I assume it will work pretty much like it did for me, that Standard will be retroactive to his birth date?  And since he won't have a dependent ID, will I just show mine when I take him to the pediatrician?

Yes, I dont believe LOs get their ID until 5, I may be wrong it might be longer. But when you take LO to any appt, and they ask for an insurance card, you give them your mil ID 

• imagetwest0508:

Yes, I dont believe LOs get their ID until 5, I may be wrong it might be longer. But when you take LO to any appt, and they ask for an insurance card, you give them your mil ID 

• I'm a FTM, but at my OB orientation they said that LO needed to enrolled ASAP. My understanding was that my Husband had to take the Certificate of Live Birth to TriCare to get LO enrolled. I would be unable to do this unless he was deployed and I had a POA. LO has to be enrolled before we can take them for their 2 week check up.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The hospital will give you a certificate of live birth. You will need the sponsor present to enroll the baby in DEERS, or a special power of attorney. Once the baby is in DEERS, you need to visit the TRICARE office and select the type of TRICARE that you would like. You can change yours at the same time. You have 60 days to get baby into DEERS/TRICARE, or you will recieve a bill from the hospital. Unless both parents are Active Duty, baby does not need an ID card until later (not sure of the age, we were both AD).
  • Oops! I meant to say go to DEERS first and then TriCare. Sorry.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just did this. I gave DH her social security card and the certificate of birth of military dependent. He took it to DEERS and it was all set up. We got the SSC one week after birth.
    imageimage
  • imageamandafikri:

imagetwest0508:

Depedents (children) do not need and are not issued an ID card until they are 10 years of age. I checked on this for my stepson. He just turned 10 this year.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Thitsaboyblue Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • imagejscagcia1:
    imageamandafikri:

imagetwest0508:

Depedents (children) do not need and are not issued an ID card until they are 10 years of age. I checked on this for my stepson. He just turned 10 this year.

Actually, I just did some research....here's the link to the DEERS FAQs...it's 10 yrs old unless there are special circumstances.

https://dcp.psc.gov/DEERS_FAQs.aspx 

Hope this helps!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Thitsaboyblue Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Thanks for all the help, everyone! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"