Military Families

Wright-Patterson AFB/Where to live question

We know will be stationed out here in several years and I am already thinking about where to live because my children will be starting school. Did anyone live in base housing out here? If you live on base, what are the elementary schools children would go to? What are the nicest off-base areas to live in that are at least somewhat close to base? We will be renting and are willing to drop some change for a nice area and good schools. Any information would be helpful. Thank you!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wright-Patterson AFB/Where to live question

• I can't help you with schools, but DH lived in Beavercreek when we were engaged. The area was really nice and he was close to The Green (a big mall). I visited the on-base housing a few times and I was thoroughly unimpressed each time. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • From what I've seen, on base housing sucks. Much of it is run down and way old. It's not a gated community like I am used to seeing at other bases. And I am pretty sure the children all go to Fairfield schools, or somewhere near that. I could be wrong about that. We live in Huber Heights. I like it for the most part. It is about 5-10 minutes from where DH works, but the base is huge and it can take up to 30 minutes to get to some parts. My sister used to be stationed out here, and she lived in Englewood. My niece loved her school there, and it is a very quiet community. Huber Heights = busy and loud. I don't really have much help other than that. LO is far from school age, and I don't expect to be here for when he is.

Also, highways are always under construction. Especially 75. It blows.

ETA: I should say, I like it when I get over how much I hate Ohio drivers, the $400 fee I get if I can't manage to mow my lawn for a week while DH is deployed, and the rude neighbors. Did I mention the drivers?

• Loading the player...
  • Wow all great information! DH would be at the hospital mostly. I see where it is on the map of the base. Good to know about base travel time. Sours like when the time comes, I will have to go out there myself. Thanks for ideas about where to start. Oh and not cool about the fine for mowing. DH may be gone a lot so hmmmm.
  • I just spoke with DH and he said that when he was there from '08-'10, Beavercreek had the best school district in the area.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemeltoine:
    I just spoke with DH and he said that when he was there from '08-'10, Beavercreek had the best school district in the area.
    Ok good to know. Thanks for asking!
  • Can't help with school info. My husband works at the hospital on base and it takes him about 20-25 minutes to get to work in the morning, depending on if he gets stuck behind someone slow. We live in a village north of base near Springfield, I know there are no places to rent here(it's that small).

The surrounding area of WP is huge. We looked at houses in Troy, Springfield, New Carlisle and one in Huber Heights. Each area has it's ups and downs, you really have to look at every available option. We were willing to drive in order to find some quiet.

We looked at base housing when we moved here last December and it's not bad, but we weren't willing to use all our BAH on something with no yard and no privacy (we have a large dog). The two units we saw were newly updated and the neighborhood was well kept. It's not on base housing like a lot of places, it's actually apart from the base and about 20 minutes from the hospital, more if he's commuting the same time as everyone else and there's a rush at the gate.

We moved from Minnesota and we love it here. We've found something to do almost every weekend we've been here. Hope that helps!

• Hattieshay-that was all great info. Good to about the commute even if we were on base. Also we will definitely need a nice yard for the boys. I just looked at your blog and it's awesome! Now I can't wait. There are some great places to visit. I wrote down the places so I could remember. Thank you!
  • I'm from the area originally.  I don't know too much about the base because I've only been there a few times, but there are some good surrounding areas.  If you don't mind a short highway drive be sure to check out Centerville, Springboro, parts of Miamisburg, and parts of Kettering.
  • imageAlsMcGals:
    I'm from the area originally.  I don't know too much about the base because I've only been there a few times, but there are some good surrounding areas.  If you don't mind a short highway drive be sure to check out Centerville, Springboro, parts of Miamisburg, and parts of Kettering.
    Ok thanks. I will write these down!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"