Baby Showers
Options

2nd baby, is it appropriate to have a shower?

So, I just had a baby 11 months ago, and I still have tons and tons of things. I need a few things, but they are all big things. Like a swing (cause the one for my son doesn't swing anymore) and a double stroller, & a crib. With my DS I only got a hand full of things off of my registry and so I'm kinda skeptical that this time I won't get what I need, and the last thing I need (unless it's a girl) is more clothes! I have boxes and boxes of clothes, and girls can wear boy clothes as far as I'm concerned lol, but what are your thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2nd baby, is it appropriate to have a shower?

• Options

First, someone has to offer to throw one.  If no one does, then you haev your answer.

If someone does offer, it's up to you to accept or not.  If you do accept, though, i would keep it VERY small.  As in truly your closest family and friends only - the people who you kind of expect would want to get you something a little small anyhow.  This is not an event to invite every last person you've ever known or invited to your first shower.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Most people on here are going to say showers for second babies are not appropriate (including me).  You know your family and friends best.  If it is normal in your circle to have 2nd showers and someone is offering to host one for you then go ahead and have one.  In that case it really doesn't matter how close your kids are or the genders.  You will get a few people that will give you the side-eye even if it is normal in your circle.

As far as what you need...keep in mind that most people who have showers for subsequent babies don't register and most guests don't spend as much as they would for a first baby.  If someone IS offering to host a shower and if it is someone close to your (your mom or your sister) you can always have them spread the word what you are really looking for (needing) like the double stroller and crib and swing.  If you don't get those things you can always just look at moms to moms sales, yard sales, 2nd hand shops, craigs list, etc. 

I didn't have a shower for my second but we did host our own Meet the Baby BBQ.  My good friend knew we needed a 2nd monitor for his room and got us that.  Most everyone got us clothes (it is still nice to have brand new clothes for the brand new baby - even if same sex like in our case), diapers, toys and books. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Showers and registries are for first-time Moms only.
  • Options
    I have a twelve year age difference between my children. I have nothing left that is baby but I have declined any showers. Here is the gift giving truth.... the thing is that even if you did have a shower which a lot of people do...they are not going to buy you big ticket items. Most people get the mom an outfit or somthing small for a second shower (or sprinkle). Which is what you would get from most people when the baby is born anyway. Its a pretty big expense to have a shower and I would not want the trouble of it (for my friends/family) for a few cute outfits. My suggestion is to ask each of the set of grandparents if they will buy you one of your big ticket items. GL!
    DS Born 10/05/99 DSS Born 7/11/95 BFP 05/11/10 - Missed M/C, D&C 06/23/10 BFP 8/3/2010 - Ectopic, Methotrexate 8/17/10 BFP 1/27/11- Please God let this heart beat strong. Beta1 17dpo-314 Beta2 20dpo-883 Beta3 22dpo-1861 Beta4 25dpo-5918 DS2 Born 10/07/99 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he shall be given over to the LORD." 1Sam1v24to28.
  • Options

Quoting from Miss Manners...

• by Judith Martin

DEAR MISS MANNERS -- I have been invited to a baby shower for a friend's second child. The first one is just turning 2 years old. I always thought baby showers were for your first child and you used the baby items again for your second child. To me it seems they are begging for gifts.
    My daughter claims this is the norm these days. What is your opinion?

GENTLE READER -- That your daughter is right: Begging for gifts is normal these days. It is also vulgar, of course. You are also right that baby showers are supposed to be for the expectation of a baby's appearing in a household not already over-run with baby equipment.

But Miss Manners makes an exception for an informal gathering of the expectant mother's close friends who are moved to make a fuss over her a second -- or fifth -- time. However, the plea that a more formal gathering for the lady's entire acquaintance, complete with those detestable gift registries, would enable the guest of honor to parcel out her shopping is not charming.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    I would not expect people to buy what you need.  I'd hit up consignment shops, tag sales etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    sherpasherpa member
    I was invited to a shower hosted by the mother-to-be, she was pregnant with a girl and had a 2 year old girl already. All she got were clothes, I got her a baby sound spa. You can't imagine the discomfort in the room when someone asked her why she was having another shower - had she not saved anything from her first. I wouldn't recommend it and especially do not register if you do decide to have one. Go hunting on craigslist for the additional items you need.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    BFN....no offense, but it seems like you weren't that grateful for the shower the first time around!
  • Options
    My ex-best friend had a second baby shower and her children were exactly 2 years apart. She did a registry and everything for it. She threw it for herself at her house and it was a brunch. She has never had much tact (for things, in general) and that is why we are no longer friends today. The whole thing is very gift grabby and greedy. Your immediate family (hopefully) should be getting you some items for the new baby instead.
  • Options
    The most you should expect is a sprinkle. At that event you would receive diapers, wipes and small items. As for finding a double stroller and swing, look on Craig's list or a secondhand store. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options
    Definitely DON'T do one.  Save yourself the embarrassment, because people will not be thinking very highly of you if you do one.  My opinion is that you can only do a 2nd shower if your kids are 5 or more years apart. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageNewFamily09:
    Definitely DON'T do one.  Save yourself the embarrassment, because people will not be thinking very highly of you if you do one.  My opinion is that you can only do a 2nd shower if your kids are 5 or more years apart. 

I absolutely agree...I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that would say a 2nd shower when your first child is 11 months old is appropriate or tactful. I told my sister straight out that it was tacky for her to throw her own 2nd shower when her son was 2 and that I would not attend.

It's very gift grabby and other people should not be expected to buy even the large items for your child. That is your responsibility as a parent.

Resale shops and craig's list should help you find something in your price range.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"