Attachment Parenting

When do u tell your other child about the new baby?

The hubby and I were thinking of waiting to tell our daughter about me being pregnant when we find out the gender. But I want to tell her so badly about it right now!

When did u all tell your children about them becoming big brothers or big sisters? 

Re: When do u tell your other child about the new baby?

• My DS is almost two, and we told him around the time that I started to show. He doesn't really understand, though. He will lift up my shirt and say "baby!" and give my belly kisses and offer it snacks lol. But when I tell him that the baby is going to come out and live with us, he just looks perplexed.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • imageCalinsBride:
    My DS is almost two, and we told him around the time that I started to show. He doesn't really understand, though. He will lift up my shirt and say "baby!" and give my belly kisses and offer it snacks lol. But when I tell him that the baby is going to come out and live with us, he just looks perplexed.

Cute!  I told DD right away, but she didn't understand.  At night, before we nurse, she will lift up my shirt and say "baby sister" and give my belly a kiss.  She will give my belly kisses with her stuffed animals and bring DH over for a kiss, as well.  It is very sweet, but she doesn't understand that her "baby sister" will be joining us in a few months.  I can see waiting until you show or are in 2nd tri if you have an older child who understands or can't keep a secret!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCalinsBride:
    My DS is almost two, and we told him around the time that I started to show. He doesn't really understand, though. He will lift up my shirt and say "baby!" and give my belly kisses and offer it snacks lol. But when I tell him that the baby is going to come out and live with us, he just looks perplexed.

I'm a lurker around here, but I just wanted to say that this made my morning: that is hilariously adorable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD1 was almost 3.5 years when I found out I was pg, and she was actually the first person I told. I told her that we were going to have another baby, and then I put a "big sister" shirt on her and had her go tell DH. (He didn't get it right away...)
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • ayramayram member
    We are always cautious about m/c etc, so we never told anyone until 2nd tri, including the kids.  We told them just before we told family.  At the same time, another family with kids our age were dealing with telling the kids about a m/c...we didn't want to go through that.  Good luck!
    Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac
  • Immediately. I figured I wanted her adjusted to the idea well ahead of time and if I had a m/c, then she'd sense something was wrong or she'd see me crying and I'd have to hide it or explain it in some way. And it turns out that we did lose a twin, so we did have to tell her that too. She was under 2, so it's not like it really sunk in, but she talked to the babies through my belly button and gave them kisses. When I lost one, she understood I was upset because I had lost something, but she wasn't upset because the babies weren't real to her.

- Jena
  • I think it really depends on how old the child is. DS was about 16 months old when we found out i was pg again. We didn't really talk about it much to him until at least 20 weeks but he really didn't get it at all and i didn't want to talk too much about something that was so far away. He wasn't going to understand and remember that. As it was we tred to talk about it more twords the end and read books about being a big brother and having a new baby but he never got it really. Once she was here though he adjust really quick and adores her now.

I think if he could talk more and was older I would have told him earlier and tried harder to prepare him. I think you have to follow your gut on this one.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all of the advice. Our daughter is 6 years old and we just finally decided to tell her. She is so excited. Five minutes later i caught her trying to take out the trash! I said "what are u doing??". she said " mama, I have to help u any way I can because the new baby is coming. Thats what big sisters do!" I wanted to cry! She is so sweet. But lets see how "Ms.Responsibility" lasts LMAO
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"