Cloth Diapering

Totally new to CD and looking for some help

My DH wants us to look into Cloth diapering for baby #2. He got it in his head because his brother is adopting and they are going to use cloth diapers for her. I agreed to do some research and see if it is something that will work for us.

So ladies here is where I need your help, I am overwhelmed trying to figure out the different brands and the whole how-to. Is there a place you could steer me to that can help me to get the information  I need? You know kind of "Cloth Diapering for Dummies" kind of idea. Is there a website that gives a step by step guide? Any and all advice is appreciated. TIA

Re: Totally new to CD and looking for some help

• Try the FAQs at the top of the board.  It's very helpful!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I learned a lot from the FAQs on this board and by reading past posts. Jillian's Drawers offers a diaper trial where you can try out several different types and brands (I wish I'd known about this before I started buying)- you pay a deposit, can send back anything you don't use, and if you send everything back you only pay $10 to try them out.

It's been far easier and more fun than DH & I expected. We've found that a mixture of different types of diapers (pockets sometimes or prefolds with covers) works for us, but you'll have to decide which is best for your lifestyle. 

Married since 09.06.08
    2012 Book Challenge: 20 of 50
    Sophia Leigh has arrived! 02.09.11
  • Loading the player...
  • Check out the "Cloth Diapering 101" series on YouTube. It's pretty great.
  • Agree with PP. I would also suggest talking to someone personally about them. Do you have a cloth diaper store in your area? DH and I met with a local retailer who only sells cloth dipes and she talked with us for almost 2 hours about different types, should us how to use each and gave lots of helpful advice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto the pps.

And also consider talking to your BIL. If they're planning to CD their daughter, they may have some tips and resources for you,

• Thank you for all your suggestions. I guess I have some you tube watching, and website reading ahead of me. :)

• imageDr.Loretta:

Ditto the pps.

And also consider talking to your BIL. If they're planning to CD their daughter, they may have some tips and resources for you,

I would, but they live across the country and I am visual/kinesthetic learner (I taught before becoming a SAHM). So I need to be able to read about it and see things in action. I will definitely use the other suggestions from the PPs, thank you.

• imagekls621:
    imageDr.Loretta:

Ditto the pps.

I would, but they live across the country and I am visual/kinesthetic learner (I taught before becoming a SAHM). So I need to be able to read about it and see things in action. I will definitely use the other suggestions from the PPs, thank you.

Understood but your BIL may have some resources to pass on as well.

• I still have a month to go before my son is even born, so please take any advice I give with a grain of salt.  I have found the online resources (including this board's FAQ) to be super helpful, but the best thing my husband and I did was go to a cloth diaper workshop that a small store hosted less than an hour from our house.  The woman who led it was incredibly knowledgeable (professionally and personally) and she had tons of samples to show us and we could chat about the pluses and minuses of each type.  It helped that I read a lot before we went, but being able to see and touch everything was immensely helpful.

Good luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"