VBAC
Options

Frustrated with OB advice... WDYT? (kinda long)

je2161je2161 member

I had my 6 week PP OB visit today, and I love my doctor. She is compassionate, intelligent, and friendly... and so I REALLY want to use her again next pregnancy, but I am so disappointed with something she said.

I asked her if she would let me wait til 41 weeks before scheduling a c/s. She said yes.

I asked her if she would let us not base c/s decisions on growth ultrasound estimates of fetal weight, since the position of the baby is more important than the size. She said yes.

I asked her if we could use small doses of pitocin to augment labor. She said yes.

Then I asked her about inter-pregnancy interval... We want to have at least 2 kids, maybe 3. I am 27 now, and I want to get the pregnancies and deliveries over with sooner than later (safer when maternal age is lower). So I asked her about how long we have to wait until we conceive again. She said if we want to do a rcs, then one year. If we want to do a VBAC, then two years minimum. I told her we wanted our kids close in age, and we were thinking about 6 months, and she said that that would be WAY TOO CLOSE... that the studies confirm that 2 years is the minimum time! I read a study (forgot the name) that showed that 18 months is the recommended minimum interval, but 2 years sounds like forever right now!

What have your OBs said about interpregnancy intervals? Since I am EBFing, I am probably not going to be able to conceive for several months anyway, but it sucks feeling like I need to wait TWO years! WDYT? TIA!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Frustrated with OB advice... WDYT? (kinda long)

• Options
    You don't have to wait 2 years... You would need to just wait 15 months... And that's if you conceive exactly when you want to.

My OB recommended 18 months between deliveries no matter for a RCS or VBAC. Your body needs time to recover from pregnancy and birth..that is safer than being a younger Mom. It gives your pregnancy and baby the best chance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was not given a minimum.  But I agree that the 18 months to 2 years people mention are between deliveries, not conception.  VBAC-wise, you can conceive again at 6 months- there are women on this board who have done it.

That said, there are benefits to putting a little more time between pregnancies. Your body needs to recover in many ways after a pregnancy.  Some of the vitamins in your system don't get back up to where they should be for a long while even with a multi-vitamin.  This is why there are studies that suggest that some issues like ADD are hgher in babies that were born after a short interval between pregnancies (I am not saying this is true or false or even a big risk- just saying the study exists and that it is an example of a benefit of putting a few more months between pregnancies).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I believe I was originally told 18 mo.... and actually got pg when my first was 18 mo old (albeit unplanned! lol).  There is a much bigger gap btw 2 and 3 so there's no issues there. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    My ob said I called ttc whenever I felt like it, and he thinks in my case vbac is the best route.  I do feel there are varying reasons on a personal basis for when it is okay.  Other than low progesterone at the begin of my pregnancy, I had a very easy, issueless pregnancy.  I didn't even have any swelling.  I dilated and effaced very well before even going into labor.  And the reason I had to have a c section was breech positioning. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"