TTC after 35
Options

For those doing meds/monitoring, how many follies do you get?

My RE wants to see 3-4 follies at my u/s because of my age (though he's been very polite about it Wink).  I wondered how many other TTCers over 35 are in the same boat.  

I just got back from my CD7 u/s and there were four, possibly five follies, which is what we've been going for, but it still feels a little risky.

TIA 

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

Re: For those doing meds/monitoring, how many follies do you get?

• Options

Mine wanted 4-6. I started out with 6 + but I only had four perfect sized ones  at the time of our IUI.

ETA: RE wanted that many due to my age, 41 years old.

• Options
    Yeah, I always one follie. Yes, only one. But I'm DOR in a big way. Thus I'm no help...

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't stimmed yet, but my RE said he'd be happy with 5-6.
    TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW
  • Options

imagemtlaurel:

5-6 for IUI?  That's a lot. Are you thinking she was asking about IVF?

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• Options
    imageMrs.McIrish:

imagemtlaurel:

5-6 for IUI?  That's a lot. Are you thinking she was asking about IVF?

I just read a study about this... something about 6 being a good number for over 35s...  I will google it and share. 

• Options

Here's a quote, see full link at bottom.  Surely there are other viewpoints, this is just what my googling turned up.

Women under 35 were at high risk for multiples when there were six or more follicles 12 mm or more in diameter. However, for women over 35, the pregnancy rate was improved when there were six or more follicles in that size range, without significantly increasing the multiple implantation rate. We need to be careful about this. There is not a sudden change in the egg quantity and quality that occurs on a woman's 35th birthday. The changes will be gradual, and the decision-making regarding a "safe" number of follicles should take that into account.

https://www.advancedfertility.com/revmultiplescoh.htm 

• Options
    I had 5 the 1st cycle with the RE, which lead to the whole "would you reduce if youd had multiples" talk that I wasn't quite ready to hear yet.  Last month, I had 3-4 and they were happy with that (2 other times, including this one, I only had 1).
    Me: 41, DH 43 TTC #1 since 8/09 CP 10/09.
    3/11 Clomid-Ovidrel-IUI #1-progesterone= BFN.
    5/11 Femara-Bravelle-Ovidrel-IUI#2-progesterone=BFN.
    6/11 Femara-Ovidrel-IUI#3-progesterone=BFP!
    Beta #1 7/1: 39. Beta #2 7/5: 301 U/S 7/19 - saw HB!!
    EDD 3/12/12
    DD born 3/5/12
    Baby #2 Beta #1 12/16: 439.  Beta #2 12/18: 1240
    EDD 8/22/15

• Options
    imagesarahtoledo:

Here's a quote, see full link at bottom.  Surely there are other viewpoints, this is just what my googling turned up.

Women under 35 were at high risk for multiples when there were six or more follicles 12 mm or more in diameter. However, for women over 35, the pregnancy rate was improved when there were six or more follicles in that size range, without significantly increasing the multiple implantation rate. We need to be careful about this. There is not a sudden change in the egg quantity and quality that occurs on a woman's 35th birthday. The changes will be gradual, and the decision-making regarding a "safe" number of follicles should take that into account.

https://www.advancedfertility.com/revmultiplescoh.htm 

Wow! I'll have to read this later. Of course, I'd be lucky to get 6 eggs thru IVF so that's probably why I've never run across this. GL!

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• Options

imagedanish16:
    I had 5 the 1st cycle with the RE, which lead to the whole "would you reduce if youd had multiples" talk that I wasn't quite ready to hear yet.  Last month, I had 3-4 and they were happy with that (2 other times, including this one, I only had 1).

It's a hard talk...  I sometimes feel like my choices are risk multiples or don't get pg.  Sad  My doctor isn't pressuring me or anything, it's just a tough spot to be in. 

Danish, may I ask what meds you're on?  Did you have such different results with the same protocol?   I was surprised that last cycle I had two good follies and this one, so many more.

• Options
    imagesarahtoledo:

imagedanish16:

It's a hard talk...  I sometimes feel like my choices are risk multiples or don't get pg.  Sad  My doctor isn't pressuring me or anything, it's just a tough spot to be in. 

Danish, may I ask what meds you're on?  Did you have such different results with the same protocol?   I was surprised that last cycle I had two good follies and this one, so many more.

DH was FREAKED about the 5 follies and ensuing discussion.  He keeps telling me he doesn't even want me to get pregnant with twins.  At this point, I think I would take anything! 

The 5 follies was on 100 of Clomid (that IUI ended up being cancelled for other reasons).  They repeated the Clomid for my 1st IUI, and I only had 1 that time.  Next time, they tried Femara 5 mg/day for 6 days (I think most of the time they only do it for 5 days...) - that's when I had 3-4.  We repeated that for this cycle, and I only had 1 (and it was ready to trigger by day 9).  I seem to be on an every other cycle pattern of responding, which I suspect is related to DOR.

Me: 41, DH 43 TTC #1 since 8/09 CP 10/09.
    3/11 Clomid-Ovidrel-IUI #1-progesterone= BFN.
    5/11 Femara-Bravelle-Ovidrel-IUI#2-progesterone=BFN.
    6/11 Femara-Ovidrel-IUI#3-progesterone=BFP!
    Beta #1 7/1: 39. Beta #2 7/5: 301 U/S 7/19 - saw HB!!
    EDD 3/12/12
    DD born 3/5/12
    Baby #2 Beta #1 12/16: 439.  Beta #2 12/18: 1240
    EDD 8/22/15

• Options
    imagesarahtoledo:

imagedanish16:

My doc promised me at age 41 that even with 6 follies that I only had a 2% chance for twins and triplets would not happen. Of course, I was worried too. Worried for nothing since I didn't even get pregnant during that IUI. Age does make a huge difference that is for sure.

• Options
    imagedanish16:

DH was FREAKED about the 5 follies and ensuing discussion.  He keeps telling me he doesn't even want me to get pregnant with twins.  At this point, I think I would take anything! 

The 5 follies was on 100 of Clomid (that IUI ended up being cancelled for other reasons).  They repeated the Clomid for my 1st IUI, and I only had 1 that time.  Next time, they tried Femara 5 mg/day for 6 days (I think most of the time they only do it for 5 days...) - that's when I had 3-4.  We repeated that for this cycle, and I only had 1 (and it was ready to trigger by day 9).  I seem to be on an every other cycle pattern of responding, which I suspect is related to DOR.

It's amazing how different bodies can be, even the same bodies, cycle to cycle!

Yeah, we would both be happy with twins, though I know you're not supposed to "try" for them.  At the beginning of this process, the idea of twins terrified me, but now that I know this is likely our only shot, two would be okay. 

• Options

My first cycle on 100 mg Clomid I had 3 follies.

Next cycle 5 follies.

Next cycle 4 follies.

Next on 112.5 units Gonal-F I had 4 follies.

After the first one failed, we started being more comfortable going forward with more follicles, although still had to have the "if all of these fertilize and implant we are going to have to think about selective reduction" talk. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We are llucky if I get 3- I am 41

Kristin

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow - I am soon to be 38. I produced one follicle on my own each month. On 50mg of Clomid, I started producing 2. One month did look like a third could be coming up, but usually 2. My RE did not want to do injectibles because he did not want more than 3 follicles for an IUI. And I am not sure I was comfortable with even 3.

However, I have an FSH within normal range and no known quality issues so maybe that's why. My RE says if we have to move on to IVF, he would expect 10-12 eggs at retrieval.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options

Hmmm...I must have some crazy follicles. My first IVF, I had 11 follicles., 9 fertilized normally and then only 5 made it to the transfer--I stuck all 5 back in. You only live once!?! ;)

Then #IVF--which is happening now, 9 were retrieved, seven fertilized normally and 5 made it to transfer--Yes. I put all 5 back now too. 

I was some mega doses of Menopur and Follistim. 3-4 Menopur a night and 300 of Follistim this time. The first time, I was on 3 Menopur and 425 IU's of Follistim. 

I am 42 now and am just going to see what happens. I take my preg test next Thursday 7/7.

I told my RE that we just need to try and make this happen. I have two more retrievals covered by insurance. We will see. 

• Options

This last cycle I had 2, but only one of them was the right size.  i don't remember each month, but it seems to me that I have had 2-3 the past 3 cyles before that.

I would be thrilled to have multiples, though I know that the news of that would probably give DH a heart attack.  He would get over it though, he's kind of a "go with the flow" type of guy. 

TTC since 3/2010. Me 41, DH-49. After 3 years, 6 IUIs and several IVFs we have finally have our beautiful baby girl, born on 11/7/13.

• Options
    imageHeatherIcon:

Hmmm...I must have some crazy follicles. My first IVF, I had 11 follicles., 9 fertilized normally and then only 5 made it to the transfer--I stuck all 5 back in. You only live once!?! ;)

All the above posts, unless specifically stated, weren't related to IVF. You would expect to have more in IVF than IUI or TI.

Personally, I only had 1 with 50 mg of Clomid. Based on everything I read here - RE's wanting to see 3-4-5 follies, I feel like that is low. I brought it up to the nurse and she said that was all they wanted to see. I'm not so sure about her response, but I'm going to try Clomid at least once more.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"