Attachment Parenting

another wrap advice question

I need a new carrier yesterday.  I'm currently going hiking once a week in a moby, but it's too warm for that!  Actually, it's only broken 70 like once here this "summer," but I heard on the news this morning it might happen soon.  I have been lurker/stalking on TBW, but I'm so overwhelmed by the choices.  I didn't realize that the thinner wraps would be more diggy.  My hikes are usually like 3 hours (we stop and nurse/ec part way through).  So, do I just give up my hikes because there is not a wrap that will work well?  Or, can you wonderful ladies tell me which wrap will tolerate a PNW summer (say, 85 degrees, tops, and 75 most days) and still be comfy?  I was looking at an aqua nautilus.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: another wrap advice question

• I don't have experience with the nautilus, but I would imagine anything that was cotton would feel better than the Moby!

If you are handy as a DIYer, you might try some Osnaberg, which I have found to be cooler, and just as supportive.

Hopefully, some other mamas will chime in! And I'm jealous of your temps - we're up in the high 90s, and with almost 100% humidity, you just can't do anything out of doors.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagewatermelon mom:
    I need a new carrier yesterday.  I'm currently going hiking once a week in a moby, but it's too warm for that!  Actually, it's only broken 70 like once here this "summer," but I heard on the news this morning it might happen soon.  I have been lurker/stalking on TBW, but I'm so overwhelmed by the choices.  I didn't realize that the thinner wraps would be more diggy.  My hikes are usually like 3 hours (we stop and nurse/ec part way through).  So, do I just give up my hikes because there is not a wrap that will work well?  Or, can you wonderful ladies tell me which wrap will tolerate a PNW summer (say, 85 degrees, tops, and 75 most days) and still be comfy?  I was looking at an aqua nautilus.

If you like the nautilus, I'd say go for it.  I have a nautilus (olivia) & I'm comfortable using it w/my 24-lb., 20-month old kiddo.  I can't promise you that 3 hours would be okay, but I'm guessing that it will be.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My recommendation would depend entirely on what kind of carry you'll be doing.  For Front Wrap Cross Carry or Double Hammock I'd probably get something super thin like either a Vatanai, Ellaroo, or even a gauze like a Gypsy Mama Breeze.  Both of those carries will distribute LO's weight throughout your torso instead of just your shoulders but will be a little warmer with all of that fabric wrapped around you.

If you want to do a single layer carry like a Ruck I'd buy around a size 4 in something with a more standard thickness so it'll be less diggy on your shoulders.  Ellevill's are great ruck wraps IMO (Zara or Jade) as well as Girasol.  Didy's vary considerably in their thickness, but most would also work well. 

• My ellaroo is cooler then any other woven or the oby I have tried so far!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• not a 'wrap' recommendation... but I have had luck with the ergo and my ring sling (sakura bloom) for hiking. I like the weight distribution of the buckle carrier and in some weird way it feels cooler than other options b/c it's not hitting the majority of my back (or front depending on the carry). I know that's not exactly what you were asking but thought I would offer what's worked for me! My moby is a sauna, so I agree with you- it's OUT! ;)
    little dude with lots of boogs.
  • Thanks for the advice. I love that I can always count on the AP board to actually respond to a post! 

I went ahead and bought the nautilus because the seller said it would be good for summer.  I also just bought DH an ergo for father's day, but my little guy is *little,* so we still need the infant insert, which short circuits the cool part of this.  I am thinking I also need to find a GMBBB.  I looked into just buying plain gauze and hemming, but it was going to run me like $50, and for only so much more I can have pretty too.  I still have the money my dad gave me as a shower gift with which to buy CDs.  He won't mind if I buy another wrap, right? :)  

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • If you do get another one, I highly recommend the Gypsy Mama Bali Breeze. DS and DD were both born in FL and now we live in GA (hot, hot, hot!) and I loved it. When they were little I liked the basic x carry and the kangaroo carry and never got too hot. I wasn't wearing them on three hour hikes but it was always comfortable.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"