Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Going rate for babysitter?

I am having a babysitter watch DS tomorrow morning for the first time.  I have absolutely no clue what the going rate is these days!

Can anyone help me out here?  TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker TTC #2 since March 2010. 2 LOSSES ... c/p - Dec 2010. Ectopic - March 2011. Me: 35; DH: 34 DX: DOR, egg quality issues ; DH - all normal FSH 10.1, Estradiol 21.8, AMH 0.49 IVF #1 (Oct/Nov 2011) (Antagonist with BCP's)- 5R, 0 eggs to transfer CD3 b/w by same RE 1/2012: FSH 6, AMH 1.4...wtf?? IVF #2 (Apr 2012) EPP/Antagonist with ICSI - 10R, 7M, 6 ICSI'd, 2F. 3DT = BFN AMH tested by new RE 6/2012 - 2! Saving money for IVF #3. Started a ton of supplements in May 2012 and hoping for a miracle! SURPRISE BFP!! (October 2012)

Re: Going rate for babysitter?

• Options

As a college student, for extra work I babysat 3 kids (7 and 2 twins 3yo)  I was paid 8.00 per hour (no college education in childcare, etc.). and drove to and from their house.  Never left with their children to go anywhere.

When I look on sites that  network nannies the going rate is between 10-15.00/hr.  These nannies claim to have childcare education backgrounds etc. (you must do your own research/background checks)  I will be looking into them within the near future, since I don't know of anyone else besides my mother to watch DS.

At first we will start out with mother helper duties, so that DS could get to know her...and then once he's comfortable with her, work my way to leaving on a short errand. 

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

It totally depends on experience, age of sitter, and area you live in.  Go to sittercity.com or care.com and peruse those sites to get an idea of what going rates are in YOUR area.

FWIW, I pay my 20+ yr old babysitters $10/hr for 1 kid and $12/hr for 2 kids.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    Our 17 & 18 yo sitters both charged $10 for one and $12 for two kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Around us it's $10/$15 depending on experience.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    When I babysat in college (7 or 8 years ago) I was happy with $10 an hour but was sometimes also paid $8 an hour- no matter the number of kids.  I also would not do a job for less than $20- not worth my time.
  • Options
    wow! I feel like a cheap ass..I only pay 5/hr but thats what she said and I agreed lol...I remember when I babysat when I was a teenager it was like 2.50/hr times sure have changed
  • Options

We live in a lower cost of living area and I pay a college student 8 an hour to watch our DD who is asleep most of the time.  When LO #2 arrives, we'll plan on $10.  I always wondered if this was too cheap but I asked a lot of coworkers and friends who had kids and 8-10 seemed to be the going rate in our area.  When I babysat, I got 2-4 an hour, but that was when I was 16 or younger (15 years ago) and got picked up instead of driving over there. 

E 7/2009, K 11/2011, M 5/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"