February 2011 Moms
Options

Do you let your dog lick you LO's hands and face?

My dog keeps trying to lick LO's hands and face lately, and I keep nudging the dog away and blocking LO's hands and face from dog slobber. Leg? Fine. Back? Fine. Top of head? Fine. Hands? Ick!! Face? Ick!!

What do you do? I am wondering if I am too uptight because my DH thinks its cute / hilarious...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Do you let your dog lick you LO's hands and face?

• Options
    we don;t have a dog, but if I did then I would not. MIL lets her yorkie lick her feet and it makes me gag. I find it soo disgusting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I get grossed out when my dog licks my face- so there's no way I'd let her lick DS's face. And, it goes to follow, his hands, since they are always. in. his. mouth. I don't mind so much my hands, since I restrain from shoving them into my mouth.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yah, ok,so I'm totally guilty of this- but I limit it to one or two 'kisses' at a time- does that count for something?  FTR, my dogs aren't drooly dogs!  Dog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I tried preventing this in the beginning cause I felt he was too young or whatever it may be. But now, I let my pup lick his feet and legs and occasionally the pup will sneak a hand in once in awhile.. I allow it now because King LOVES it he cracks up everytime she does it. And I started to think that if everytime she came near and I would tense up and shoo the dog away, that King might think theres something to fear in her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I definitely let the dog lick the baby's feet, and the top of her head. I want the dogs to feel comfortable around the baby an not on edge. Face and hands, I definitely try to control, and keep wet wipes around. 
  • Options

I let my dogs lick her feet, but that's about it. It isn't a big struggle for us though because our dogs either ignore her or seem scared of her!! LOL

• Options

our dog does, we try to get her to not do it. But its a hard.

• Options

imageGracieMaeLovey:
    Yah, ok,so I'm totally guilty of this- but I limit it to one or two 'kisses' at a time- does that count for something?  FTR, my dogs aren't drooly dogs!  Dog

this exactly. Just like one or two little "kisses" and then we're done. He thinks it is so darn funny and honestly, hearing him laugh is totally worth it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagediscobelle:
    We try not to let her, but it's a constant struggle.  She tries to do it all the time.  

This exactly! What is even gross is the dog tries to get his spit up, eewww! 

image     image

image    image

• Options
    Yup, whatevs. It's gonna happen.
  • Options
    imageLilleybug:

imagediscobelle:
    We try not to let her, but it's a constant struggle.  She tries to do it all the time.  

This exactly! What is even gross is the dog tries to get his spit up, eewww! 

I actually let this happen sometimes lol. I mean, if she spits up a lot and it gets on herself, and the floor, my priority is always to wipe the baby up first. If the dog so happens to want to help clean my floor, go ahead, earn your keep, dog! :) Gross, I know, but dogs will be dogs.

• Options
    I don't let him, we use the Leave It command, but I know it happens every once in a while.  I know that eventually LO will be covered in dog germs, especially once he's crawling, but I don't need the dog helping things out. 
    dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Options
    I try to avoid excessive puppy-kisses but my doxie sneaks in a few licks here and there. I just try to convince myself that its building up X's immune system!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Check out my blog: http://cwupcake.wordpress.com

"The only difference between tattooed people and not tattooed people is tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed."

• Options

imagemisscakes777:
    I tried preventing this in the beginning cause I felt he was too young or whatever it may be. But now, I let my pup lick his feet and legs and occasionally the pup will sneak a hand in once in awhile.. I allow it now because King LOVES it he cracks up everytime she does it. And I started to think that if everytime she came near and I would tense up and shoo the dog away, that King might think theres something to fear in her.

This!  we have three dogs so we keep wet wipes handy...my LO loves the dogs and thinks they're hilarious.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    imageameliahedlund:

imageGracieMaeLovey:

this exactly. Just like one or two little "kisses" and then we're done. He thinks it is so darn funny and honestly, hearing him laugh is totally worth it.

Yep, my ladybug thinks it is hilarious... and I dont think it is that bad.  My dog is trained not to lick her lady parts, and we control the amount of stuff she eats off the ground. 

• Options
    I'm ok wih everything but the face.  I do not want them getting into the habit.  Freya has gotten a few face licks in but mostly the hands. 

• Options
    I let my dog do one or two "kisses" on the top of the head or side of the face.  Sebastian just laughs so much when Buddy (our dog) does this.  How could I not, when I hear such happiness come from my LO?!
  • Options
    No! It makes me gag to hear the licking noise and my dog licks his own azz. So no
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

Our two little dogs don't even try. The pit has been trying to kiss her since the moment she came home. I'm fine with him licking her feet or legs or top of her head, because she thinks it's hilarious and she loves being around him. I try to control hands and face licks but I'll say I'm not great at it and he sneaks them in whenever he can. My husband would ban all "kisses" if he could but I told him that we have to let Valentino feel comfortable around her, not afraid he's going to be scolded.

Honestly though, I know I grew up being kissed by dogs, and my parents' dogs weren't dewormed, flea-prevented and frequently bathed. They were country dogs and they were treated like country dogs. I think DD will be fine with a few pit bull kisses now and then.

Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes...my dogs are both very licky and lick her all over.  I don't like it when they lick the open mouth, but pretty much everything else flies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"