Food Allergy
Options

Milk Protein Allergies: How long did it last (if it stopped)

DD has had a suspected milk protien allergy. She is breastfed and I elimiated dairy about 5 months ago (when she was about 2 mos). Her allergy has never been confirmed with anything other than elimination of dairy from my diet. Previous to this she had horrible stomach pains. She would scream and cry for hours and writher in pain, kick her head back etc. I can't even explain how bad it was, most days I ended up in tears because I couldn't help my poor baby. Nothing helped, not gas drops or burping or bicycling her legs. She never had any blood in her stool or any other symptoms.  I researched on my own and elimiated dairy. A week after I stopped we didn't have the problem anymore and she was a totally different happy child!  She is awesome now. Every other month or so I try to have some dairy to test and every time she still has the reaction about 3-4 days later. So Friday I had cheese, that is all it has taken in the past to cause the reaction, and she's been good so far...tonight is the 4th night so if we make it through tonight without a problem I'm thinking that we may be in the clear. 

So my questions are if you had a child with a milk protein allergy how long did it last? I understand that in some children it doesn't go away. If it hasn't gone away at what point could they actually test for it? My pedi said they can't really test for it when dd is so young. Another question is if your LO did have it and it went away, how did you go about reintroducing the dairy?  I don't want to have too much  too quickly if it looks like she's not having a reaction anymore.

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker
imageimage

Re: Milk Protein Allergies: How long did it last (if it stopped)

• Options

DS#3 was diagnosed at seven months by a pediatric allergist.  With the numbers we got from the RAST at seven months, one year then two years of age, our allergist feels he will not outgrow the allergy at any point in the near future.

I would suggest contacting an allergist to find out if your LO was experiencing a true allergy or an intolerance before you try to re-introduce.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options

my son was diagnosed at 8 months for milk and his levels are lower and i was told to introduce milk in baked goods.  i haven't b/c he had an accidental exposure and his face broke out so i plan on staying away until next test.

IMO -if i was you, i would NOT introduce dairy directly to her diet when she can start having solids until you get her tested. Remember that the dairy you have is broken down before your child has it so she may still have the allergy (hoping not).  Also, most kids that are allergic to cows milk are also allergic to soy.. so i would get her tested before introducing it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was able to reintroduce dairy into my diet at 9 months. LO has also been able to tolerate eating small amounts of dairy in baked goods (like buttermilk pancakes). When he turns 11 months (this weekend!) we're going to try giving him a small amount of yogurt and see if he can tolerate it directly. We're doing this under the advisement of his pediatrician.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

DS was diagnosed through Elimination at 7 wks, challenged by direction of Pedi at 12 months and still reacted. We've had an accidental exposure (at DC) at 14 months and he reacted, will challenge again at direction of Pedi closer to 24 months.

His reactions are all GI related for Milk Protiens, usually occur the day after he's ingested dairy,

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD has/had FPIES to dairy and passed her dairy trial at 18 months (well, it was an unofficial trial of Daddy giving her ice cream. lol) She still doesnt get cows milk (she drinks hemp) but we've successfully added cheese and yogurt to her diet.

She was officially diagnosed at 8 months but she was EBF before that and wasnt exposed to dairy prior to her diagnosis.

:)
  • Options

Both of my children had dairy and soy protein allergies.  DS1 was over it @ 10 months and DS2 (took a little longer) outgrew @ 12 months.  The digestive nature of this type of allergy, in my GIS and pedi allergist's opinions is best tested by reaction to foods.  Even early on, the prick test and blood test did not show allergy to dairy and only a mild reaction to soy, but the digestive upset and blood in stool cleared up through elimination and we knew what we were dealing with (for DS2 we had learned from DS1's experience).  I started reintroducing dairy by eating a small amount myself and looking for reaction.  I challenged DS1 for the first time at 10months and he was fine.  Did the same with DS2 and he reacted 2-3 days after I ate it so I waited a couple months and after he turned 1 tried again and he was fine.  

Hope her allergies have cleared up for you.  GL! 

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"