Success after IF
Options

I know this has been asked, flying with a baby

We want to go to Florida a week this summer, but once we started discussing flying with Jack we started to rethink it.

1) We are on a tight budget since Dh is still unemployed, so we will not be getting Jack his own seat on the plane. It's a 2-3hr flight for us, is this safe and how much of a pain is this going to be for me and Dh. I am hoping to find a flight early enough or late enough that he may sleep through the whole flight. Any other tips?

2) We will be renting a car once we are down there. Can you get a car seat with a car rental, or will I have to bring my own?

3) If we have to bring our own, can I gate check his seat?

4) Any tips suggestions for making this a smooth trip?

Thanks =) 

Forever in our hearts
~12/05 * 7/06 * 12/06 * 4/07 * 10/08~
"When the world says, "Give up" hope whispers, "Try one more time"
After 4yrs, 5 IUI's, 2 IVF's, 2 FET's, PGD, and 5 losses our little miracle is finally here!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Cricket's Cadence

Re: I know this has been asked, flying with a baby

• Options
    I have flown a LOT with my LO (he's been on 24 air planes so far, and he's not two yet). Just tonight I paid for his first seat (the trip is after he turns two). He has always been fine flying in my lap.

Time of day of flights didn't impact my LO much after he was a year old. There is too much to see and engage for him t sleep on the plane. But, he rolls with it. Honestly, I try to avoid flying during his nap time if I can help it. But, each kid is different. And, it will be you and your DH, so that should make it easier. I've only had DH's help on two flights, otherwise, it's been just me and LO.

Personally, I would not use a rental agency's car seat. A friend tried that a year ago and honestly, the seat looked older than my 13 year old niece. It scared me. Plus, you don't know how others have treated the seat and you may not know how to properly install it (and you k ow the folks behind the counter will be zero help!). Go to BRU and get a travel bag for your LO's seat (they make ones with wheels somewhat they are easier to move). Gate check it so that you know it is on the plane.

You should also be able to gate check a small stroller, but I'd check with the airline first just to be safe, especially if you gate check the car seat.

if you have an Ergo, or the like, you can wear your LO through security. This is nice because it keeps your LO contained and your hands are free.

Not exactly plane travel related, but check the city you are traveling to for baby equipment rentals. When LO & I go see my parents in Sarasota, FL, we have rented a crib to use at the condo. You can rent all kinds of things to make things easier. Just something to consider.

If you are staying in a hotel, call to reserve a crib (unless LO sleeps with you). And, you might want to ask if they have actual cribs or pnp. Then, depending upon the answer, bring the appropriate sheet with you. We have stayed in various m/hotels that did not have the proper bed linens for cribs/pnps.

Good luck and have fun! If you are stressed, he'll pick up on it. Have fun, and he will, too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Don't cancel because of LO! Vacation with kids is sooo fun! We went on vacay with a four hour flight to AZ when DD was 10 months old and it was great!

We have friends who have flown 20-30 times with their DD, and just bought her her own seat for the first time because she turned 2. They always had her as a lap child with no problems, and we also plan on having DD as a lap child for as long as we can. The flights can get long, but we would get up and walk with her, stand up so she could sit in the seat by herself (get an aisle seat!), and we brought a TON of snacks to feed her the whole time. I wouldnt count on him napping at all, so don't plan around that. The only flight DD slept for is when she was less than 6 months old.

we rented a car in AZ, but brought our own car seat. I just didn't trust the rental car company seats. We bought a backpack style padded bag, and just checked it with our luggage. But you can also gate check them (but then you have to haul it through the airport).

We requested a crib from our hotel, and it was in the room when we checked in. If you are staying in a hotel, I cannot recommend enough getting a two room suite so you guys can still hang out/watch tv/etc. after the kiddo goes to bed.
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsRyan61804:

We want to go to Florida a week this summer, but once we started discussing flying with Jack we started to rethink it.

1) We are on a tight budget since Dh is still unemployed, so we will not be getting Jack his own seat on the plane. It's a 2-3hr flight for us, is this safe and how much of a pain is this going to be for me and Dh. I am hoping to find a flight early enough or late enough that he may sleep through the whole flight. Any other tips?

2) We will be renting a car once we are down there. Can you get a car seat with a car rental, or will I have to bring my own?

3) If we have to bring our own, can I gate check his seat?

4) Any tips suggestions for making this a smooth trip?

Thanks =) 

Where in Fla are you thinking of going?

We have flown a lot w Jake mainly back and forth from Fort Lauderdale to Boston..We always fly Jet Blue..they ARE great with kids..have tv and usually have some of the cheapest flights around from NY/NJ?Boston area..so I would look at them..

Last time we went we bought Jake a seat. We are going next week again and I don't think we are going to get him one..it was just too expensive so we are going to risk it and just hold him..last time he just sat in his seat and watch tv! I even tried to plan it around his nap time and it didnt really work..he did sleep for like 45mins but thats it..it's a 3hr trip from Ft. Laud/to Boston..

With most airlines at least JetBlue you can gate check your stroller and carseat..at no extra charge..But I think I did see that American or Delta are now going to start charging for these items..I also got stroller bags covers for all these items at BRU for cheap..

We have never rented a car soo I don't really know about renting..I would just bring your own..The only other thing I would suggest brining is Jack Birthcertificat or social security card. We have always brought them they don't usually ask for them but it's best to just have it just in case...!

• Options
    Thanks for your help and tips ladies! I will let you know how it goes =)
    Forever in our hearts
    ~12/05 * 7/06 * 12/06 * 4/07 * 10/08~
    "When the world says, "Give up" hope whispers, "Try one more time"
    After 4yrs, 5 IUI's, 2 IVF's, 2 FET's, PGD, and 5 losses our little miracle is finally here!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Cricket's Cadence
  • Options

We use a Cosco Scenera for travel because it's light and cheap (and safe).  I would watch the sales and pick one up so that if your seat gets a suitcase tossed on it and cracks, it's not a $$$ seat.     
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"