Baby Names

How do you pronounce this?

Allura.  I would think alure-a (like the magazine with an a at the end) but do you think they are going for Alora?  A-lore-a....a friend just announced that as the name for their baby girl due in a few weeks.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do you pronounce this?

• I would say it the same way as you.
  • imagerider5344:
    Allura.  I would think alure-a (like the magazine with an a at the end) but do you think they are going for Alora?  A-lore-a....a friend just announced that as the name for their baby girl due in a few weeks.

That was my first reaction.

• Loading the player...
  • Allure-uh.

I don't see any other way to pronounce it.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm going to have to disagree . . . they might have been going for Alure-ah, but that spelling, phonetically, reads ah-lurr-ah. Without the E at the end, as in the word alure, there cannot be a long U. So, said with a short vowel sound it's ah-lurr-ah, "lurr" rhyming with fur.

Like I said, that's probably not what they were hoping for, but that's how it reads.

• imagestrangebird:

I'm going to have to disagree . . . they might have been going for Alure-ah, but that spelling, phonetically, reads ah-lurr-ah. Without the E at the end, as in the word alure, there cannot be a long U. So, said with a short vowel sound it's ah-lurr-ah, "lurr" rhyming with fur.

Like I said, that's probably not what they were hoping for, but that's how it reads.

This. Unfortunate choice.

• I would probably say it like the magazine. I really, really don't like it...
    image"
  • imagerider5344:
    I would think alure-a (like the magazine with an a at the end).

This is what my instinct would be, too. 

• I agree with the magazine.  a lure uh
  • Its my niece's middle name.  They say it like the magazine, Ah - lure - ah.  Her father is Native American and said it means Princess..but he is also often on drugs so I don't know if I trust his name knowledge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"