January 2011 Moms
Options

Question for Moms of boys

So I have an awkward question to ask.  DS was circumcised 2 days after he was born.  He is 6 months old now and DH has been worried that not enough skin was taken when he was circumcised.  DH said the head shouldn't be covered at all and by now there should be a "scar" (DH seems to think it just doesn't look right and seems concernd).  I didn't know what to think so I asked our ped who said we had two options.  We could go to a urologist and have the circumcision redone or we can wait to see if he "grows into it", but right now, there is nothing to really worry about.  I have never heard of a boy "growing into it", does that happen?

Does anyone else have the same problem?  Does anyone have an older son who has "grown into it"?  Does anyone's son have a scar?

Sorry to ask such an awkward question, but I'm not quite sure what to do or who to ask.

Re: Question for Moms of boys

• Options

We have a friend of the family who are/went through the same thing. I heard that the ob she had was known for not taking enough off when he did the circ. I can't even tell where they did Jay there is no scar and no extra skiin. Our friends son still has skin there and they are planning on having it redone but have to wait untill he is closer to 3 (not sure why).  So it does happen but I am not sure on scaring.

• Options

I'm not quite sure exactly what you're describing, but both our boys were done by the same ob and older son's looks normal, but youngest son seems to have a lot of skin. I pull it back when I change his diaper and clean him up, and everything on the "head" looks normal, but there is some loose skin there. I was wondering myself if (I can't believe I'm about to say this) when he had an erection the skin wouldn't be loose anymore. Is that what's going on with your LO? If so I guess I could say my older one "grew into it" since he doesn't have that issue anymore.

and no, neither boy has a "scar". Not sure what your DH is referring to there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oliver has no 'scar' to speak of - and there is NOTHING in terms of extra skin around the head. I have only heard about things like this when 1) yes, not enough was taken during the circ and/or 2) if the parents (and I'm not blaming you) I've just heard this-didn't pull the skin back around the head, etc. every time you changed him to clean it - sometimes the skin can start to re-grow around the head if this isn't done often enough. After the circ (about a month) we started to notice a little grow back b/c (I) wasn't pulling the skin away from the head everytime I cleaned him up while changing. My hubby, who had a little brother 7 years younger, told me it's very critical to do that so it does not re-attach? Maybe that's what it is? 
  • Options
    We have not had any problems, and I have never pulled anything back.  I didn't know we were supposed to do that.  The pedi has checked it at every appointment to make sure that everything looks okay.  Did your pedi see it when he/she told you about your options?  We do not have any type of scar either (as far as I can tell).  Good luck!
  • Options
    We had the circ done with the plastibell.  There is no scar, and no extra skin.  However DH is like half done, he says his mom told him they messed up when it was done.  So if he is hard you cant tell, but if not then there is some extra skin but not as much as there would be if it was never done at all.  He jokes about it, he didnt want our son done at first in case it happened to him, but we ended up doing it anyways. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My pedi says it looks good, so no worries over here.
  • Options

I noticed a little raised red skin that I hadn't noticed before and it's on my list to discuss with the ped. However, we have a separate issue. My doctor calls it "hidden penis" and it's when his little package is kind of hidden in his fat. Makes it look sort of like a belly button. Once I pull the skin back his package comes out. I was told this is normal on a baby with chub down there and as he loses that chub it will stop hiding.

(Although, I wouldn't mind if it hid til he was like 22!) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"