Northern California Babies

TV- has anyone cut it out after starting?

I really wish my DD had never seen a DVD. I hate the way she constantly nags me to watch her shows. I have limited it to one show in the am and one in the pm, and that's fine, but it's the "I wanna watch baby blue bird (Backyardigans)" or "I wanna watch Dora" that drives me mad. I read to her and dance around and engage with her a LOT and it distracts her for a while but then something will trigger it again. I try to get out of the house a lot but really I just wish it had never started. Anyone cut it out entirely after they already knew it existed?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TV- has anyone cut it out after starting?

• We haven't cut it out entirely, but we have cut down on the amount of tv she watches. We just tell her no, tv is broken. Sometimes she pitches a fit, but usually it will last 2 mins and then she is into something else.
  • I havent cut it out...and I try to look at the begging whining for it as just a normal age thing. If it wasnt a show it would be somehting else I figure....

I think maybe its harder since its something we dont really "like" them doing KWIM?

Also for me the bonus is on whining for tv I know I wont ever give in...so they are learning in a fairly easy way mommy means no when she says it...and it helps in other areas!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We haven't cut it out, but if they've reached their quota for the day I usually say...you already watched your show, you can watch that one tomorrow.  Usually they watch 1 episode of one show, 1 episode of another then try to get a 3rd of a different show (or something along those lines).  So I say you want to watch this Dora, we'll save it here (if it's an actual DVD) or say it's on TIVO we say we'll watch it tomorrow.  

If that doesn't work I insist they find something else to do.  If I have a few spare minutes (usually tv is on when I need to get something done) I'll set up an activity or book or game to distract them from begging for tv.   

• I didn't cut it out but I think I ODed the kids on it. I used it to be able to cook dinner, take a shower and clean the house. Also on sick days. They are to the point where if I turn it on, they turn it off and say that they want to play instead. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • When my son was in the hospital, he watched way too much TV, but there was really nothing else to do.  He was fine being without it, but his little brother became an addict since he was with us so often.  We did watch the DVDs at home a bit during his recovery, but I too got tired of the whining for Toy Story from my younger son so we sent the DVDs away on vacation.  Sure, he whined a bit, but when they're gone, they're gone.

• imageMeritage:

we sent the DVDs away on vacation.  Sure, he whined a bit, but when they're gone, they're gone.

I just remembered that that's the reason I have 4 kid's dvd's on the top shelf of my closet.  Ha! 

DS loves his shows.  He wakes up occassionally asking for Caillou.  This morning he wanted a specific episode of Chuggington that lives on Daddy's iphone. When it annoys me, or he seems too attached, I've set stronger limits (limit number of shows, or when he can watch or what he can watch), and just plain removed stuff I'm tired of hearing about.  THis morning my answer to more Chuggington was that he had watched enough and needed to go play.  And he went!  My other trick is to buy him tie in toys to his favorite stuff so today he went off to do a GIANT Thomas puzzle and play with his Chuggington sticker book.  As long as Thomas doesn't talk he doesn't annoy me.  ;)

The only real giving up I've seen up close in TV houses is like TV turn off week or something similar.

• bunchbunch member

Yes!  After L was born I used the TV a LOT to S- so I could nurse/put him down/survive/etc.  At some point I realized it was out of control and I couldn't handle the whining, so our TV "broke" for 2 months.  I literally unplugged it during the day because she knew how to turn it on.  It totally kicked her of the habit and we're back to reasonable requests- not even every day.

But it needed to be the TV saying no (being broken) and not me telling her no.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • When G was younger I did. I told him the TV was broken, for a month. 

Now, once he reaches his limit for the day, I tell him that if he whines about watching  that he wont be allowed to watch next time. 

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • imageKellyMRocks:

When G was younger I did. I told him the TV was broken, for a month. 

Now, once he reaches his limit for the day, I tell him that if he whines about watching  that he wont be allowed to watch next time. 

Those are great ideas. thanks everyone. I am Ok with two shows a day, especially since it helps her eat breakfast and it's the way I get her into a bath (after the bath you can watch Dora or whatever), but that's all I let her see. I just get irritated with the whining and tantrums, but I just ignore it mostly. I guess I will continue to let her watch what she is watching and keep trying to distract her with other activities. 

• We never started, Sarah has never watched TV or DVDs. This gives me validation that it was the right choice.
  • imageSFAug07:
    We never started, Sarah has never watched TV or DVDs. This gives me validation that it was the right choice.

There is good to it also , it's just sort the addictive quality that I hate. She also learned all the letters and the sounds they make from the letter factory video, so I see the value, and it helps me to get things done in the morning when I go to work. I guess eventually you just have to get used to setting limits and sticking to them no matter what age they are and no matter what the issue.  

• She's learning those things (letters and sounds) from the games we play and the Au Pair plays with her, books we read etc. I am fine with her not watching TV as long as possible. We are not big into TV so it is never on at home apart from the occasional movie we watch after she is asleep.
  • imageSFAug07:
    We never started, Sarah has never watched TV or DVDs. This gives me validation that it was the right choice.

I'm so glad you've been validated.

I consider the TV the poor mans Au Pair.

• imagedanandkelly:

imageSFAug07:

word.  

• imageMrsEmm:
    imagedanandkelly:

imageSFAug07:

word.  

Holy sh!t!  Diet Coke all over my screen. 

• EmmieBEmmieB member
    imagedanandkelly:

imageSFAug07:

Drinks 

• imagedanandkelly:

imageSFAug07:

Why didn't we think of that! We'll just let the Au Pair go and leave Sarah in front of the TV 40 hours a week when both her parents are at work. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Clueless party of 1 your tables ready.
  • EmmieBEmmieB member
    imageSFAug07:
    imagedanandkelly:

imageSFAug07:

Why didn't we think of that! We'll just let the Au Pair go and leave Sarah in front of the TV 40 hours a week when both her parents are at work. Thanks for the suggestion.

in case you wear yours out

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"