Eco-Friendly Family

Airtravel...is it just me?

Or are prices insanely high to fly now? I used to get tix home for the holidays around $300. Now...it's well over $600 per seat, not including taxes and bag fees. For two people...not yet including a LO seat...there's no way we will ever be able to save up for a vacation of our own unless we forgo seeing family. Wonder if it's all inflation. Though traveling is anti-EFF...maybe we'll just stay home this year. 

Just whining. (and making a concerted effort to help speed up the board ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Airtravel...is it just me?

• I'm a corporate travel agent and yes, airfare prices have been insanely high lately!!  It sucks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree. I'm scared to look for tickets for our Dec/Jan time frame cross-country flight. When I can't even get a direct flight from DC to FL for less than $200 on a random, off-peak, weekend, I know I'm in trouble.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, flights have definitely gone way, way up. I remember the good old days when I could buy a round trip ticket to Vegas from my hometown in CA for $70. It was awesome.

Now it's soooooo expensive. I just shelled out $1,000 for tickets to WI for a wedding and $600ish for tickets back to my hometown for my brothers wedding. We didn't even buy LO a ticket since the flights were so expensive. I'm hoping there will be extra space on the plane and we can get him a comp'd ticket. I've had pretty good luck with that in the past. When I check in at the airport I just ask them  if they have an extra seat on the plane that DS can have. It has worked more often than not. One time they told me they thought I could have one but wouldn't know until a few minutes before boarding because the flight was really full but not at capacity (he got a seat). But I think probably 7 out of 8 flights I've gotten him a comp'd ticket.

• reasons i'm grateful we live in the same metro area where we both grew up and the vast majority of our family lives. we talk seriously about moving to the PNW sometimes, but the idea of coming back to visit is daunting.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• The PNW IS amazing...but yeah, I'd probably give it up in a heartbeat if we could move home closer to mid-west family and still have incomes. I miss that LO isn't able to toddle over to Grandma's every few days like I was able...instead, she's waving and blowing kisses at webcam videos :(
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • CD+ALCD+AL member
    <<deleted>>  Grr...not sure if it was me or a bump hiccup but this response was for the post below.  Sorry!

• I also am surprised by the price of tickets.  We are looking at vacations next year and the air is ridiculously high.  600 per ticket for a nonstop. 

The messed up part is I could do 1 stop and it cuts the price down to 230. 

I think REALLY?! Airlines are out of wacked

image image
  • My husband works for an airport and honestly the days of low cost airfare are pretty much over. Especially with the merger of Airtran and Southwest. The industry is definitely keeping an eye on this, as they were usually the trendsetters of low cost flying. I'm not sure what is up with Jet Blue and other smaller low cost airlines and contracters since they don't fly out of my nearest airports, but you will be lucky to find decent prices for a while. It's the same thing with car rental, though that has seemed to settle down a bit since last summer. 

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"