October 2011 Moms

MIL

So, my husband and I are letting our parents choose what they want the baby to call them.  So far, everyone has picked one that we really like.  My MIL informed me that she wants to be called Mom Mom.  Am I getting upset for no reason?  Or can I get concerned that she wants a name close to Mom, Mommy, and Mama?
MLB

Re: MIL

• I think it's weird to be upset. It's a pretty common name.
  • Locally a lot of grand mothers are called Mama.. its like Nana.
    Successful after 2 years tttc. Diagnosed with PCOS and Endometriosis. Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • think it depends on your feelings. I have never know anyone that was called "mom Mom' and I might feel concerned if my mom,mil or grandma wanted to be called that However My family is Scottish and Ukrainian so Its Nana or Baba, or GG and of course Grandma and grandpa.

• I've never heard "Mom Mom" before. I would find it weird.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it's a family tradition, I wouldn't find it weird.  It's a little off-putting to me, but some women just have a mental block to the more traditional names. 
    Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• I have never heard "Mom Mom" before! We lived on the west coast though. I wonder if she finds it traditional somehow. I've heard grandmas called "Big Mama" but never "Mom Mom". That would really bother me!
  • I think it is kind of strange because in my mind MomMom is reserved for the mom of the mom (hence mommom) or if the women was calledd mommom by her daughter's children and other grandchildren just joined in... haveing the father's mother pick it seems kind of strange to me, but if, in your case, your mother doesn't want it it's not too big of a deal.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My (male) cousin's kids call his Grandmother "Mom Mom", I always thought it was strange.  But then again, my mom's friend's grandkids call her "Tata" and told her I thought it was strange she wanted to be essentially nicknamed "boobs".
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Personal opinion- it's strange and I would be offended.  
  • imageweddingbells2010:
    Personal opinion- it's strange and I would be offended.  

This. I would have dh say it is too close to mom,mommy, momma and you both would like her to pick something else. 

My parents are Nanny and Poppy

Inlaws are Grammy and Pop 

• My dad has 2 sisters (all east coasters) and their grandkids ALL refer to them as Mom Mom and the dads as Pop Pop. I would be uncomfortable with DD calling my Mom "Mom Mom", though.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • All the women on my mom's side of the family are mom-mom, whether they were the maternal grandmother or the paternal. (As the men are pop-pop.)  And because my family has always had children young and lived relatively long lives, we had to refer to them by their first names as well to distinguish.

My little boy will have two Mom-Moms, my mom and her mom.  DH's mom decided she wanted to be called mom-mom and I'm not thrilled, but not because I think it's weird, only because there are enough already.  It was always assumed she would be Nana, like the rest of the grandmas on her side of the family.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally, I don't like it. But then, we use the traditional Grandma and Grandpa.  Wink
  • StephKStephK member

imagecantalopes24:
    I think it's weird to be upset. It's a pretty common name.

Maybe it's a regional thing?  I always referred to both sets of grandparents as grandma and grandpa, but I have many friends who called their grandmother Mom-Mom and their grandfather Pop-Pop.  Incidentally, I called my grandfather Pop.  I don't get what is so offensive or insulting about it?  Do you really think your child is going to get confused just because Mom-Mom sounds like Mom?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have heard of this term and I don't much care for it. I also think it is too close to Mommy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I actually know a lot of people who called their grandmother mom mom. It's pretty common around here.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• In my family, we just use grandma and grandpa or maybe gramma and grampa, but my DH's family uses all those other nicknames.  I wouldn't stand for it, but I think it's like PPs have said, if it's traditional, let it be.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP 02/04/2011;EDD 10/14/2011;Induced due to pre-e 09/07/2011;Jack born 09/08/2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image
  • Not sure where your MIL if from but I think this is very common in the northeast.  I've always called my grandmother Mom-Mom (but really we say mum-mum).  My mom will be Mom-mom to my baby just like she is to my nieces.  We call great-grandmothers grand-mom-mom.  I obviously don't think it's strange and it doesn't bother me. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have not heard this one before ever. where i come from it mostly grandma and grandpa and nana and papa? on the other hand i could totally see my crazy MIL coming up with something like this when DH and i got married she always wanted me to call her mom and i was/have never been into that kinda thing i know who my mom is and even if we have had struggles nobody else will ever be my mom!  i think it still makes the MIL mad or something that i dont call her mom but she just dont get it. this hasnt yet come up in discussion yet of whta LO will DH parents so we will see as for my parents they already have a grandson and are called grandma and papa so it will prob stay that way for my LO!

• Personally, I think you're overreacting.  My maternal grandparents were mom mom and pop pop, although mom mom was always said so quickly it came out like "mum mum".  It's perfectly normal in the Philly area.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"