March 2011 Moms

lets talk solids!

i think lil miss morrighan is ready for solids she is almost sitting up by herself. she pulls away from the breast when she is done feeding. and we were playing with a teathing spoon thingy and she opend her mouth wide to put it in her mouth. from what i hae read and talked to my doc about she could be ready but it just seems so soon. lately she has been going through a huge growth spurt aswell and i think its comming to a close. so. i would like to hear what yall have to say on the matter.  
"'Cause baby you're a firework Come on, show 'em what you're worth Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh" As you shoot across the sky-y-y. Baby, you're a firework Come on, let your colors burst Make 'em go "Oh, Oh, Oh" You're gonna leave 'em all in awe, awe, awe" KP Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: lets talk solids!

• I'm waiting until 6 months at least. There are so many different ideas on what to do that I'm just going with the research I've done and what my pedi says. We are skipping the cereal and moving on with fruit and veggies. I would talk to your pedi before doing anything. There is some research about digestive systems not being ready until a certain age (I'm not going to quote an age because I can't remember what it is for sure).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • skioskio member
    We are going to wait until 6 months, hopefully. Pedi recommended rice cereal first, but I'll start making sweet potatoes and avocadoes for her then, too.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Max has beeen showing a lot of the same signals lately too.  I am going to talk to his Dr during his 4 month appointment and hopefully start him on oat or barley cereal right after. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We won't be starting any solids until at least 6 months.  Honestly, I just don't see the reason to rush into it....it just gets harder once you add anything but formula/BM into the picture.  Maybe it's just me speaking from experience of having an almost 3 year old, but I'm in no rush for DS #2 to do anything buy lay there :)  Of course I want him to hit his milestones on time, but I'm definitely in no rush!
  • I plan to wait as well.  Our pedi gives the okay at 4-6 months, but we've had allergy issues with all of our kids.  We probably won't offer solids until closer to 9 or 10 months and we'll offer table foods then (soft, mushy things of course).  We did this with DS and DD2 and it worked out well.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • I'm waiting til 6 months.  Today was E 4 month appointment and the pedi said he prefers BF babies to wait until 6 months.  I have no problems with that....truth be told, I'm not ready for my baby to grow up so fast!  I was also reading an article that if you introduce solids earlier then 6 months, it could lead to obesity in children.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS pedi had us trying the rice cereal but more liquidy than it should be when he was 2 months becuase of his bad reflux. she said that is the only time she would tell someone to do it. but when  i do give it to him he will eat it right up but then about an hour later he is screamming! so i dont give it to him anymore. i waited a couple days and tried again but he did the same thing. so his next appt is coming up so ill just talk to her then and she was she says. but DS is def showing signs hes ready but im not sure since it  makes his belly hurt.

sounds like your LO could be ready.. :)

its crazyy how fast they are growing upp! i know everyone says it goes by so fast but sheeshh! its flyying by!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am waiting until 6 months with this LO. I did it at 4 with the last one and it made our schedule a lot more difficult.  We EBF, so I like the on the go convenience.  As long as DD is thriving and still gaining, I will hold off.She has her whole life to eat solids.  I am not gonna rush it!

(I am also hoping holding off to 6 months will help with texture issues down the road!)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I will be talking to my pedi at 4 months. With my first, we tried a little rice cereal at 4 months, but that was it until about 5-6 months when we started with fruits. I'll probably do the same this time around. 

Braydon 1.23.09
    Weston 3.24.11
    EDD 5.26.14
  • we started addy on oatmeal last week. 1 tablespoon oatmeal, 5 tablespoons formula. she LOVED it. like to where i was scraping the bowl. tuesday we had her 4 month appt (she was exactly 4 months) and i told the pedi we tried oatmeal and she had no problems and asked the steps for introducing more solids. they said it's all practice so theres no wrong way for us to do it, we just have to remember to space out new foods to look for allergic reactions. so tuesday i gave her green beans and she's been eating those up to. we've only been doing solids once a day, for dinner. 4 tablespoons oatmeal, and about 1/2 a tub (gerber) of green beans. and a 4-5oz bottle. haven't noticed a change in poop yet. dont know when we'll increase the feedings either. we're really just winging it.
    Bre Wrties
  • Unless our pedi tells us differently for some reason, we're waiting until six months and starting with fruits and veggies too. There have been recent studies that show starting earlier than four months may be tied to weight problems later on for formula fed babies (I was unable to breast feed) but aside from that, he's growing well and is happy and healthy on our current routine  - I'm not in any rush! 
  • I am willing to start earlier, probably around 4.5 months.  There's new research that starting solids earlier than six months may decrease the potential for food allergies in EBF babies. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My Ds is 3.5 months-- I have gave him rice cereal 2 times-- one sunday and lastnight... I spaced it out so much because i wanted to see how his stomace would react to it-- and its fine... but i wont be giving it to him every day still until we speak to our pedi on what he thinks... also he had a MUM MUM yesterday. which he loved. :) Good luck!
  • imageJsMama125:
    My Ds is 3.5 months-- I have gave him rice cereal 2 times-- one sunday and lastnight... I spaced it out so much because i wanted to see how his stomace would react to it-- and its fine... but i wont be giving it to him every day still until we speak to our pedi on what he thinks... also he had a MUM MUM yesterday. which he loved. :) Good luck!

Umm, of course he loved it. It has a gram of processed sugar in it!  Your 3 month old doesn't need "snacks"...especially those with sugar in them.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"