Austin Babies
Options

Brainstorm with me: Replacement for Mayo

Mayonnaise has no place in my diet anymore - way too much unhealthy fat. Special occasions, sure, but not an everyday dinner. I'd really like to make a healthy version of chicken salad. I have a recipe that looks yummy, but what can I sub for the mayo?

Plain greek yogurt might work, but I'm a little worried about the flavor being too tangy. I googled and got a lot of suggestions for whipped cream, but that's no more healthy than mayo IMO.

Any suggestions?

Re: Brainstorm with me: Replacement for Mayo

• Options
    Light/fat free sour cream.  I DESPISE mayo, so I use that or yogurt in a lot of things. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    "There is a fine line between a princess and a witch...thinking you're one does NOT give you the right to act like the other." my grandmother
  • Options

I usually just use FF mayo but it looks like you don't want that.  You could try plain yogurt (not Greek, just unflavored plain) or sour cream.  I'd use FF sour cream. 

You could also try using cream cheese but I can't figure out how you'd get it thin enough...adding milk maybe?  Not sure if that would work.  Whipped cream sounds weird in that situation to me.  When I make chicken salad I usually use a little miracle whip and a little sour cream.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    plain yogurt, but drain it first. put it in cheese cloth over a strainer and get a lot of the moisture out.
  • Options
    I make chix salad with half mayo and half poppy seed dressing.  I don't know that it's any healthier but everyone loves the recipe.
  • Options
    Pesto! Olive oil is good fat right?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I used to make tuna salad with mustard instead of mayo.  It's a different flavor, but not bad once you get used to it.
  • Options
    What about using some miracle whip and mustard mixed?  I think we've done that before and we add chopped up celery and grapes to the chicken salad.  I hate yogurt and the tang of it, and I can always taste that tang if it is used in things. 
  • Options

imageMrsRosie:
    You've probably done this already, but I just Googled "healthier mayo" and a bunch of links came up for healthy homemade varieties.

Yeah, I did...I was just hoping for a tried and true version rather than something I have to experiment on and pray it turns out okay!

I'll try the yogurt...if that doesn't work, I'll suck it up and make one of those recipes.

• Options

imagelabbielover07:
    What about using some miracle whip and mustard mixed?  I think we've done that before and we add chopped up celery and grapes to the chicken salad.  I hate yogurt and the tang of it, and I can always taste that tang if it is used in things. 

this made me giggle a little :) you don't like the tang of yoghurt, but you like miracle whip? :) 

• Options

imagelabbielover07:

No go on the Miracle Whip - it has high fructose corn syrup in it, which I avoid at all costs.

• Options
    I use Hellmann's Light mayo.  Is that not an option?  It's definitely lower in fat and I believe no trans fats.  Or their Canola mayo is good, too.
    No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagefjaril:

imagelabbielover07:

this made me giggle a little :) you don't like the tang of yoghurt, but you like miracle whip? :) 

I know, I'm weird!  It took me awhile to like Miracle Whip.  I still only like a little bit of it, and I can deal with it mixed with things.  I know mayo is bad for you, but I like it when it comes to tuna and chicken salad over anything else.  :)  I've tried so hard to like yogurt and I just can't hang with it!

• Options

imagethethomps:
    I use Hellmann's Light mayo.  Is that not an option?  It's definitely lower in fat and I believe no trans fats.  Or their Canola mayo is good, too.

I'm really cautious using "light" "low-fat" or "no-fat" products. So yes, it's not an option for us...main offenders to me are the modified corn starch and xanthan gum, which is another form of sugar kind of similar to corn syrup. Same ingredients are found in the canola oil/olive oil options. 

We just really stay away from processed foods unless, like I said, it's a special occasion like a birthday party, family reunion, etc.

• Options
    I thought they made a version of mayo with olive oil?
  • Options
    I thought they made a version of mayo with olive oil?
  • Options

Avocado - lots of calories but lots of good, healthy fats, too :)

ETA- It sounds weird but it is delicious and creamy. I puree the avocado and mix it in just like you would the mayo. You can also thin it out with water or even a little pickle juice :)

Photobucket
  • Options
    imagekiarox2002:
    I used to make tuna salad with mustard instead of mayo.  It's a different flavor, but not bad once you get used to it.
    I do this for tuna too. As for chicken salad, I'm excited to try some new ideas!
  • Options

We've been using this stuff for a few years and love it.  There are also olive oil and grapeseed oil versions.  We buy it at Whole Foods but I think I may have seen it at the Hancock HEB.

https://store.veganessentials.com/vegenaise-vegan-mayonnaise-by-follow-your-heart-p2182.aspx

• Options
    imagespideyswifey:

Avocado - lots of calories but lots of good, healthy fats, too :)

ETA- It sounds weird but it is delicious and creamy. I puree the avocado and mix it in just like you would the mayo. You can also thin it out with water or even a little pickle juice :)

Maybe it's the pregnancy, because I normally don't like avocados, but this sounds delicious!

I was also going to mention that Hellmans makes a mayo with Olive Oil.  DH bought it and likes it, but to be honest I haven't read the ingredients, so I'm not sure what else is in it.  DH is really big into labels and avoiding high fructose corn syrup, high fat, etc. and he bought it so it passes his standards... 

Also check with carlinlp - her Pinterest has lots of recipes for homemade mayo, and I think she may have a favorite recipe (although I might be dreaming this part...)

• Options
    I have a great recipes and one other replacement "dressing" I use. Very low ingredient and very healthy. My nutritionist gave me tips for both and I can even have them on a very restricted diet while detoxing. I'm on my phone now at the gym but if you drop me an email I can send them to you tonight! They are both delicious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"