Breastfeeding

Vent... I need a pep talk

Okay so there are things I really like about BFing, the convenience of not having to wash a gazillion bottles a day, the bonding, etc.  

But one thing that really drives me nuts is that it means I can basically never have a break.  I pump on occasion so DH can give the baby a bottle, but it's basically worthless - the baby never ever seems satisfied with just a bottle.  Not sure if it hits his tummy too fast and his brain doesn't have time to compute that he's full or what... but he can drink a good amount from the bottle and will still cry for more until I put him on the breast (and he only gives me an hour - at most - between feedings).  

Some days I just want to take an evening off (I'm home with the baby all day) and let my husband take care of him for a while so I can a legitimate break.  Not a quick run to the grocery store... like a solid 3 or 4 hours on my own.  I feel like I'm never going to get one as long as I'm BFing.   :(

Re: Vent... I need a pep talk

• I'm assuming from your siggy that your LO is a few months old? If so, it will get better. I think we've all been there. Early on there were some times, I swore that DH would use this to his advantage ('oh, DS will only settle down if you nurse him"), and it made me want to slap him(DH). That mixed with the exhaustion, guilt, worry, etc makes for a good ol' helping of self-doubt.... Try to remember: You can do this! It's the best thing you can give your LO and it will get better. Before you know it, LO will be going for longer stretches between feedings, and then as you introduce solids this will also spread out nursings as well.

Keep up the great work!

Here we go again.... 2 under 2!!!

Z is going to be a big brother!

• Hang in there! Eventually LO will go for longer stretches! You are doing great and you are giving LO what is best for him.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You can do it!  It's hard in the beginning when they need to nurse all of the time, but the length between feedings will grow.  You're doing the best thing for your baby, and in the long term, it will be much easier.  I went on a 28 hour train ride with just me and my 7 month old.  All I had to pack were diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes.  I can't imagine how I would have done it If I had to carry/wash bottles, bottled water, formula, and then try to mix it in my seat with a baby in my lap!  Life becomes very simple when you always have your baby's food source with you!

I know it's hard to feel tied down, but it's only a season.  Hang in there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It will get better I promise.  You feel like a milk cow the first few months but it does get better.  Don't give Mama!  You are doing what's best.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"