Military Families

TBI...Anyones husband have it?

My dh is out of the military now and has been for 2 years. He was in for 4 and was in Iraq 15 months. He has TBI (traumatic brain injury) and was just diagnosed. Does anyone elses husband have this? My dh also has ptsd and hates to admit it and probably wont to anyone but me and close family. He is going to appointments but just wondering if you ladies have some of the same going on  with your h?! TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TBI...Anyones husband have it?

• Yep. My H had a TBI after a bad accident in Pakistan in 2006. He was in the hospital for almost 6 months & had extensive rehab for about 3 years. He still has a lot of residual stuff, but it mostly stuff you'd only notice if you knew him before the accident. Obviously its a long story so I'd get into it via PM if you really want lol.

Back to your H, how did it happen & was he just diagnosed? Its usually diagnosed at the time of injury. If it just happened you can do a LOT to help lessen the effects now, but they become more & more permanent the longer you wait.

DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • His definitely is not as serious as your dh. He was hit by 4 separate IEDS in Iraq in 2007-2009 where he had serious concussions. They just diagnosed him This past month. His def are more subtle indications that only I would see or close family. I am glad that your DH is doing much better. My dh is also diagnosed with ptsd and their doing sleep apnea tests now. He does not like going to the dr or saying he thinks he even has problems but does it because I can see them. I know he could have life easier with some help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • That sucks. I'm so sorry for your situation. Your H's denial that anything is awry is definitely going to be a major frustration that you will deal with for a long time. TBI thinking seems normal to him. My H just in the past year or so started admitting that he needs help with things, can't remember, can't concentrate, etc, despite 5 years of medical help lol.

OSA testing seems a little weird to me, but are they ruling out simple causes for daytime sleepiness/confustion?

The biggest helper for us was neuro rehab. Its kinda hard to get approved for, but try it & be persistent. They can do neurological testing that pretty much covers memory, emotion, logic, insight, & other areas to give you a basic picture of what deficits he's up against. Then you can get help as needed for each area. For example, my H would get "lost" walking around the house. They tested his directional capabilities, found out *surprise* they sucked, & the VA got him a GPS for when he drives (he doesn't get lost in the house anymore lol that was only when he first got hurt). His planning & short term memory were awful, so they sent him a palm pilot to help him organize. Since your H's issues are subtle enough that it wasn't like his unit/boss sent him to get tested, they probably won't give him stuff like my H, but at least you'll know what he needs if you have to buy it yourself, kwim?

If you're having issues with getting services/approvals, there are a lot of resources available. Off the top of my head, one is called Safe Harbor. They're amazing. They might be able to steer you guys in the right direction.

DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"