Baby Names

Eloise & Leonidas

My DD's name is Cecelia Michelle.

We're expecting baby #2 December 28th. So we don't know what we're having.

But we have 2 names picked out. 

Eloise Renee and Leonidas Ryan.

yay or ney? 

Meeting you was fate
Becoming your friend was a choice
But falling in love with you I had no control over

Courtney and Timothy Married 7/16/11 
Parents to:
Cecelia Michelle 6/10/10  
Emerson Ryan 12/21/11

Re: Eloise & Leonidas

• I like Eloise.  not so sure about Leonidas.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Cecilia is our #1 girl name (and Michelle a top contender for MN)--beautiful!

Leonidas is a no for me.  The name is 100% identified with the king of Sparta (you know, in the story of '300'?).  

Eloise is nice, but reminds me of the children's books.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Loading the player...
  • Love Eloise Renee

Like Leonidas Ryan

Great job! 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • I vote YES for Leonidas, but hey, I'm partial lol.  When I first heard it, I was meh, but my dh loved it (we were also looking for a good, strong Greek name since dh is Greek).  Now, I can't imagine my ds being anything but Leo.  He matches it perfectly.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ENI36ENI36 member

imageEastCoastBride:
    I like Eloise.  not so sure about Leonidas.

This 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MAMAxBMAMAxB member
    imageENI36:

imageEastCoastBride:

This 

Same.. big no for Leonidas
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• I'm giving you huge points for creativity on Lenonidas.  I'm not sure yet if I like it, but I love that it is unique but not weird.

Eloise is lovely.

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • imageMoneypenny424:

Cecilia is our #1 girl name (and Michelle a top contender for MN)--beautiful!

Leonidas is a no for me.  The name is 100% identified with the king of Sparta (you know, in the story of '300'?).  

OP, if you are Greek, this changes my answer a bit.  I wouldn't think twice about Leonidas if you were Greek, but given your other names, I'm assuming you're not. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• imageEastCoastBride:
    Ditto.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMoneypenny424:

Yes I am aware of the story 300, but Leonidas was a true Greek King, not just a character in a movie. Of course we'd call him Leo. We're IN LOVE with name. 

Eloise, never heard of the book to be honest. DH's Gramma is Louise, my aunt is Louise, so Eloise is honoring those names. And I absolutely LOVE the names.  

I prefer Cecelia over Cecilia. Cecelia is pronounced seh SEAL yuh.
    Cecilia is pronounced seh SIL yuh

Michelle is my mom's name.  

Meeting you was fate

Parents to:
    Cecelia Michelle 6/10/10  
    Emerson Ryan 12/21/11

• imageMoneypenny424:

Yes I am aware of the story 300, but Leonidas was a true Greek King, not just a character in a movie. Of course we'd call him Leo. We're IN LOVE with name. 

Eloise, never heard of the book to be honest. DH's Gramma is Louise, my aunt is Louise, so Eloise is honoring those names. And I absolutely LOVE the names.  

Meeting you was fate

Parents to:
    Cecelia Michelle 6/10/10  
    Emerson Ryan 12/21/11

• imageEastCoastBride:
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm not a fan of eloise

I kinda like leonidas.. it's one of those names that grows on you :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCKleinfieldt:
    imageMoneypenny424:

No need to get snarky.  If you don't want opinions on names you like, don't post on the board.

Yes, Leonidas is a real king.  I only mentioned the "300" reference for people to remember the particular story.  I figured me saying "the King of Sparta who fought in the battle of Thermopylae" would not ring the same bells of recognition.

No one pronounces Cecilia (the original version of the name) as seh SIL yuh--it is pronounced seh SEAL yuh, the same way as you pronounce your daughters name.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• imageMoneypenny424:
    imageCKleinfieldt:
    imageMoneypenny424:

No need to get snarky.  If you don't want opinions on names you like, don't post on the board.

Yes, Leonidas is a real king.  I only mentioned the "300" reference for people to remember the particular story.  I figured me saying "the King of Sparta who fought in the battle of Thermopylae" would not ring the same bells of recognition.

No one pronounces Cecilia (the original version of the name) as seh SIL yuh--it is pronounced seh SEAL yuh, the same way as you pronounce your daughters name.

I was not at all being snarky, I was just explaining why we're using the name (DH is Greek and German). We're not naming him Leonidas from the movie, and that's what I thought you meant. 

And as for the Cecelia/Cecilia matter, I was giving you spelling options. I LOVE the name. But i am not Spanish, but I am welsh... and Cecelia is welsh, Cecilia is Spanish. 

Sorry I came across, as though I had an attitude, I assure I did not mean to.

Meeting you was fate

Parents to:
    Cecelia Michelle 6/10/10  
    Emerson Ryan 12/21/11

• imageCKleinfieldt:
    imageMoneypenny424:
    imageCKleinfieldt:
    imageMoneypenny424:

I was not at all being snarky, I was just explaining why we're using the name (DH is Greek and German). We're not naming him Leonidas from the movie, and that's what I thought you meant. 

And as for the Cecelia/Cecilia matter, I was giving you spelling options. I LOVE the name. But i am not Spanish, but I am welsh... and Cecelia is welsh, Cecilia is Spanish. 

Sorry I came across, as though I had an attitude, I assure I did not mean to.

Sorry, I also probably just misread your tone.  

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• I really like Leonidas Ryan. Not a huge fan of Eloise Renee. I like Eloise, but  I don't like the mn with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1) Leonidas happens to be the name of a very rambunctious Yorkshire Terrier that I'm acquainted with.

2) The association with King Leonidas is so strong that it inhibits the versatility of the name for future generation.

Now, having said that I can't get past the king and the Yorkie, it's still a really cool name. And the nickname Leo is adorable.

Eloise is a good name.

• Leonidas is such a cool name. What boy wouldn't like that? At first, most people will think about "300", but it really creeps up on you how cool it is. I bet you can win most people over. And Leo? Adorable!

I love Eloise. I can't believe you've never heard of the books! They are classic and very well known children's books. You might have to get acquainted with them because your little girl will really enjoy them, especially if they share a name! I don't much care for renee, but I don't put too much sock on people's opinion on middle names. It should be a personal thing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • love them both! my friend had a bunny named leonidas Smile
    S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Leonidas makes me go Indifferent

However Leo, I absolutely love!

• I'm not a fan of Eloise, Leonidas is ok.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageCKleinfieldt:
    imageMoneypenny424:

I don't think that's correct:

CECILIA

Usage: English, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, German

Pronounced: s?-SEE-lee-? (English), s?-SEEL-y? (English), che-CHEE-lyah (Italian), the-THEE-lyah (Spanish), se-SEE-lyah (Latin American Spanish)  [key]

Latinate feminine form of the Roman family name Caecilius, which was derived from Latin caecus "blind". Saint Cecilia was a semi-legendary 2nd- or 3rd-century martyr who was sentenced to die because she refused to worship the Roman gods. After attempts to suffocate her failed, she was beheaded. She was later regarded as the patron saint of music and musicians.

Due to the popularity of the saint, the name became common in the Christian world during the Middle Ages. It was brought by the Normans to England, where it was commonly spelled Cecily - the Latinate form Cecilia came into use in the 18th century.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefitzpemberley:
    imageCKleinfieldt:
    imageMoneypenny424:

I don't think that's correct:

CECILIA

Usage: English, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, German

Pronounced: s?-SEE-lee-? (English), s?-SEEL-y? (English), che-CHEE-lyah (Italian), the-THEE-lyah (Spanish), se-SEE-lyah (Latin American Spanish)  [key]

Latinate feminine form of the Roman family name Caecilius, which was derived from Latin caecus "blind". Saint Cecilia was a semi-legendary 2nd- or 3rd-century martyr who was sentenced to die because she refused to worship the Roman gods. After attempts to suffocate her failed, she was beheaded. She was later regarded as the patron saint of music and musicians.

Due to the popularity of the saint, the name became common in the Christian world during the Middle Ages. It was brought by the Normans to England, where it was commonly spelled Cecily - the Latinate form Cecilia came into use in the 18th century.

I would LOVE the source for this.

Because 4+ sites confirm my stats, whereas this is the first I've heard of it.

I am only detesting this, because I did so much research on it...
    (I've had Cecelia set for my first daughter's name since I was 6 years old.)

I will always believe, Cecelia is welsh. :) 

Meeting you was fate

Parents to:
    Cecelia Michelle 6/10/10  
    Emerson Ryan 12/21/11

• ObLaDiObLaDi member

I LOVE them both. Great choices! (Love Cecelia too, btw--my grandmother's name)

I have a friend who just had a baby Leonidas a few weeks ago, and am ever so slightly sad that now it's "taken," so to speak. Also love her other son's name, Lorenzo.

Eloise at the Plaza is a fabulous book!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have to say that Eloise is a FABULOUS name. Our daughter is Eloise Kate and we call her Louie for short. It fits her so well and it's not something you hear every day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I love Eloise  and Ryan     Renee sounds nice with it just nms   I like Leo for a nn
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"