Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Going Back to Work Pregnant

I have been going back and forth on this. In Ontario, we get a year off. I will only need 400 hours (or is it 600?) to qualify for full mat leave again. My DH and I have been going back and forth between having me go back pregnant, start TTC when I go back, or waiting until our loan is paid off (in 2 and a half years). I'm so undecided. My DH has left it up to me (we are in a financial position, that it doesn't matter when).

Anyway, has anyone else gone back to work pregnant? When did you tell your bosses? As soon as you came back? I think part of me will feel guilty.

Re: Going Back to Work Pregnant

• Dont feel bad your family should always be first. And i would like a year off!!
  • A few questions...

If you're going back to work, I'm assuming you don't work right now and SAH?  If you already SAH and are in a good financial position, why would you need a year of maternity leave? 

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't know you are from Ontario!  Where abouts?  (Possible G2G?)

Oops ... got off-track!

In terms of going back to work, I obviously haven't, as K is my first, but I have been contemplating the same situation.  That being said, I thought I would weigh in.

In regards to EI, you will need 600 hours within a 52 week period to qualify. 

As for when to tell your boss if you do come back pregnant, I think that completely depends on your work and health situation.  (ie: how was the news received the first time? how is your health during the pregnancy? etc.)

I think it is natural to feel a little guilty about leaving, but if having another is what is right for you and your family, put those feelings aside and know you are making the right decision.  (I know, easier said than done.)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelake919:

A few questions...

If you're going back to work, I'm assuming you don't work right now and SAH?  If you already SAH and are in a good financial position, why would you need a year of maternity leave? 

She is off of work right now because in Ontario, we get one year off after having our child, so she is still on Maternity/Parental Leave.  (... and getting paid.)  Smile

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelake919:

A few questions...

Because I won't get paid for being off. LOL. Where I am, you get 55% of your wages (up to a max, which I met so I get like 40% of my salary) for up to a year.  So, if I was to stay at home w/o being paid, it would be extremely tight. But with getting part of my salary we're getting by and have a bit left over each month.

• imageBeerBeck:

I didn't know you are from Ontario!  Where abouts?  (Possible G2G?)

Oops ... got off-track!

In terms of going back to work, I obviously haven't, as K is my first, but I have been contemplating the same situation.  That being said, I thought I would weigh in.

In regards to EI, you will need 600 hours within a 52 week period to qualify. 

As for when to tell your boss if you do come back pregnant, I think that completely depends on your work and health situation.  (ie: how was the news received the first time? how is your health during the pregnancy? etc.)

I think it is natural to feel a little guilty about leaving, but if having another is what is right for you and your family, put those feelings aside and know you are making the right decision.  (I know, easier said than done.)

I'm in Mississauga, and am open to a G2G. I grew up in Fergus and my in laws are in the Muskokas. Where are you?

I didn't tell work until I was 5 months (I had a very easy pregnancy, until my last month when I got PUPPS). It was received really well since it was my first. Everyone was excited. I don't know how excited they will be if I come back and am 4 months pregnant. LOL. I would just feel bad, because they only hired my replacement on contract. Then, when I come back, they won't keep her, but I'll be leaving in a few months anyway. 

• Maybe it's different in Canada, but in the states I think most employers would be annoyed if an employee took a year off for maternity leave, then came back and immediately advised that she would be going on leave again.

Question: How does the year-long maternity leave thing work?  Do employers usually hire someone else to cover the employee's duties? Do they hire a temp? It's not like everyone else can just pitch in for a whole year like they could for 6-12 weeks.  What happens when the employee comes back from leave?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"