December 2010 Moms
Options

First Word? Clicky Poll

This past week, while giving Miles a bath, DH kept repeating "dada" over and over again. After awhile, at the beginning of a new set of babbling, Miles said "dada." He went on to do it another 3 times. DH wants to count it as his first words. While I think it's completely possible that maybe Miles was mimicking DH, I don't believe he knew was he was saying, therefore I don't think it should be counted as his first words.

Soooo, my question to you is, would you count this as his first word? Or do you think it needs to have its meaning accompany the word? Is a "first word" only counted if there is intention behind it?

(P.S. My husband told me to ask you. Haha! He begged me to post a poll)

[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First Word? Clicky Poll

• Options
    I think that if he only says it to DH, then it should count. It may be mimicking, but that's how it starts. We're the ones that give meaning to babbling. Whenever your LO stumbles upon dadadada, DH gets exciting and when he says mamamama you get excited. You're teaching him what word belongs to who. I'd see where it goes from here. If he says dadada to anyone and the mailman, then he's just babbling randomly. If he only says it to DH, then get out the baby book. :)

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options
    I think its just baby babble. LO started saying dada blada dabla today. DH was excited he could make a "d" sound, but the words definitely didn't have meaning.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm with OSC--if it's intentional and directed at your DH, then it's his first word. DD was 10 or 11 months with hers. I can remember it clear as day. She was in the tub and there was a rubber duck on the ledge. She kept saying, "DUH!" "DUH!" and I thought she was just babbling, but then I noticed she was directing her gaze at the duck, so I got it down to her level and she was holding it and shrieking, "DUH! DUH!" So Duck was her first word... and she is still (at almost 7) obsessed with ducks. Has 2 duck blankets and sleeps with at least 12 stuffed ducks of various sizes.
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options
    Ha ha!  We have the opposite occurance at our house.  My son said "ma ma" and DH refuses to acknowledge it as a "1st word".  He, like you, thinks it doesn't count because he's mimmicking.
    "While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is about" photo theboys_zps97f6caa3.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm sort of torn on this subject because about a week ago my LO started saying mama. Actually it was more like mamamama but I really was excited and wanted to write it in the baby book as her first word.

Since then we have moved on to babababa, dadadadada, and now wawawawawa soooo I now realize she is testing her voice and learning sounds. I won't be counting any of these as her first word at least until she can associate an object or person to the word. However if her first word is not mama but dada instead I may change my mind on this.Wink

• Options
    Sooooo... mimicking doesn't count?
  • Options
    by this standard, DS said a version of mom/milk months ago. Doesn't count.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's exciting to hear them say "words", but I agree with the others that unless he attaches meaning to it, then I don't count it. If that were the case, DS's first word would have been agua at like 2 months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

And if you really want to get all philosophical, what counts as a word?

For instance, when Charlie is upset and wants to be picked up he makes a wawawawa noise. Every single time. Technically, he's communicating with us in a consistent, but wawawawa isn't anything related to "pick me up" in English. So, he's "talking," just not anything that's considered a word.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options

I think the first word should be one done with intention or "knowing" what it means.

DS1's first real word was Bye-Bye! Complete with waving! He only really babbled mama and dada for a long time. He still mixes us up sometimes and says "mommy daddy mommy daddy" to both of us!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

it doesnt count until there is meaning attached and that doesnt usually start to happen until 8 months or later.  the rest is just vocal play.

now hurry up and practice mama with him so he'll have it down pat in a couple months!

• Options

A little surprised at the responses.  I always wrote down either mama or dada in my kids baby books when they first started saying it (maybe wait a couple weeks to see if he keeps saying it).  I know they were just testing out sounds and didn't know that I was mama or that DH was dada.  However, I still counted it as their first word. It's exciting to hear something recognizable coming out of their mouths.  Isaac is now saying dada - I'm giving it a week or 2 and then I'll be writing it down.  It'll definitely be a couple more months until our babies says something and know what it means.

• Options
    imagejnicolen:

it doesnt count until there is meaning attached and that doesnt usually start to happen until 8 months or later.  the rest is just vocal play.

now hurry up and practice mama with him so he'll have it down pat in a couple months!

I completely agree with this.  How surprising, lol.

• Options
    I voted yes, because even though I know it is just mimicking, when LO does the same thing, I am totally going to count it as his "first word". Embarrassed
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"