June 2011 Moms

Jaundice

hi Ladies, I just had my first appt with DS's pediatrician today. When he was born his jaundice level was 9.6. Today it went up to 17.4. They now have me using a Billy-blanket on him while were home. We go back in tomorrow for another check. He was born on Sunday morning, so they're thinking that this could be the peak of the jaundice. They said this is common and not to be concerned. But of course, I am... Any other mom's going threw this or have you went threw this? What was your experience? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Jaundice

• My son had jaundice when he was born. I think his level was 7 something. They kept him under the lights for two days and on the third day just used the billy-blanket. On the fourth day we brought him home and had an appt with his pedi the next morning and his was already ALOT better, just by looking at his color. Did they use the lights on your LO also?
  • & I would suggest keeping him in the sunlight. Sit him beside the window or take him outside. They said this helps alot!

• Loading the player...
  • I had my LO on Sunday also. On Tuesday when we left the hospital her bili was 10.2. They said frequent feedings and sit with her in front of a window and it should clear up on it's own. Today at our first pedi visit they weren't concerned as she has already gotten back to birth weight. Her eyes are still a little yellow but they said the eyes would clear last. GL!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO had this, he was barely jaundiced in the hospital and then it peaked a couple days later, just in time for his first pedi visit. They put him on the bili-blanket and we had to have a home health nurse come out daily to draw blood to check his bili levels. It only took about 3 full days using the bili-blanket to get his levels down to normal, and they were pretty high to start (19.5 I think). It definitely freaked me out when it happened but ended up being no big deal at all - I think the worst part was them having to prick LO's heel every day - his little feet were covered in marks by the end. :(

Hope your LO's levels go down quickly!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD had this.  She was in the NICU for an unrelated issue, so she stayed under the lights for a few days while she was there.  She is perfectly healthy now.  They just need to eat and poop to get the bilirubin out.  Try not to compare your son's numbers to others because they told us the numbers are sort of complicated and it is based on how old the baby is and how much he was and so on, so you can't really compare.  Also, just know jaundice makes them really sleepy, so be prepared when he's more alert later!

• Ooh yes, we've been through jaundice.  DD was a preemie and under the lights in the NICU, then sent home with a bili blanket 10 days later because her level went back up to 15.4 at discharge.  Apparently she has breastmilk jaundice, and at almost 7 weeks old, is still a little yellow.  The bili blanket is a pain but try to keep LO in it 24/7 and the levels will go down quickly.  GL and don't worry, jaundice is very common! 
  • Yes. DD gave us a big scare with jaundice. We were discharged from the hospital with very mild jaundice. We bf alot and put her in the sunlight as much as possible. Her levels just kept going up and up. We were told they would peak at about the 4th day but they just kept going up. StepMIL is a pedi and she said it happens alot but her practice hospitalizes at 20 no matter how old, so we were very concerned. Our doctors office sends you home with a biliblanket at 17. We got the blanket on the sixth day and seemingly overnight she dropped to safe levels, and the yellow started fading. Right now she is doing great and she doesn't need a blood draw everyday anymore. I would say that as long as you stay on top of it, your little one will do great. 
    {06a578fc-2cfd-4248-85f4-b62a450aed47}_5 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We ended up back in the hospital after discharge to go under the lights b/c LO's level went up to 17 even with the use of the bili blanket. We spent one day under the lights and were sent home. After this we went to the pedi. office everyday for about a week to check his levels and make sure they were falling. It was very stressful and overwhelming. He was born about a month early which didn't help...he was so sleepy from being premature and the jaundice that it took constant stimulating to get him to eat. Just know that it is very common and it will get better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"