August 2011 Moms

What would you have done differently?

Stolen from July 2011... because its dead in here...

If you could do this pregnancy over again or for those of us having more after this, what would you do differently next time, if anything?

I would have tried to stay more active. It was really hard in the first tri to stay active because I was so nauseous all the time and because it was winter. Next time I want to make sure I just suck it up and stay active, at least go for a walk every day or run or lift weights or something. I haven't gained a ton of weight this pregnancy but I haven't been active at all and I think its going to make it that much harder afterwards.  

Next time I'd like to try to plan it so that I'm pregnant September-June haha. That way I can have the summer off, but also the summer is not as busy at my work so I won't feel as bad about the time I take and would probably be able to take more time. With this one, the fall is open enrollment and its our busiest time so I feel really bad that I'm going out and I'm taking the full time that I'm allowed because of it.  

Re: What would you have done differently?

• Next time, I would def eat much healthier!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would have exercised more in my first tri, even though I felt like crap. Otherwise I'm not sure I would do much differently... I haven't had any problems, so I don't feel like I can ask for much more than that!
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think there is too much I would have done differently... I've been exercising since the beginning and eating healthy, but I do wish I had kept up with my twice a week strength-training class. I've been doing mainly all cardio, and I've lost a lot of muscle tone in my legs and arms. Next time I want to keep doing cardio AND strength-training throughout pregnancy... 
  • I would have taken weekly pictures of my bump and kept a pregnancy journal.  I had a loss right before this pregnancy and so was nervous about getting to invested early on and didn't do those things.  I wish I had.

I also would have put us on the waiting list for a daycare as soon as we found out we were pregnant.  I waited too late to start looking and now there is no way we can get our child into a daycare center.  We'll be going the home daycare or au pair route.

• zenmazenma member

I would have signed up for Bradley classes! When I first researched about them I was too late to join. (12 week class) Other than that, maybe not gaining as much as I have with this pregnancy and getting more pre-natal massages.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I've been walking a few times a week throughout the whole pregnancy. But I think next time I will maintain a normal workout routine until I feel I can't. But at least I got some walking in.
  • Honestly, nothing. I've eaten super healthy, work out 4-5 times per week.  I've been relaxed and non-stressed.  So far, I've had a perfect pregnancy.
  • LOL. This is a funny question for me....

I said all of these things before I got pregnant the next time. I didn't change a damn thing!!!! Good news? I don't have to say them again for the next one - this is our last baby :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There's so much I would do differently, but am still pretty happy anyway.

In regards to HG: I would have researched it more thouroughly after being diagnosed. The hospital gave me no info, and didn't seem like they thought it was a big deal after my first visit. It took 3 more visits for them to be proactive. Next time around I'll be more prepared. It's not something you can prepare for the first time.

I would definitley have done Bradley classes, gotten more exercise (I literally couldn't the first 4 months, and have lost a lot of muscle tone). I also wish I had started a baby book. DH got me one, but I am still unsure if I want to write about the HG experience. I don't want her to read it one day and feel guilty or sad. I would also take weekly pics. I did at 17 weeks, then didn't until almost 25 or 26 weeks.

• I would've gotten into much better shape before I got pregnant. 

I think it would've helped me greatly if I'd been another 40lbs down and buff from the gym.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Absolutely nothing... both pregnancies so far have been pretty easy and by the book. I'm eating a lot healthier this time around than I did with DD #1 so I'm much happier with how I look with this one too. My second pregnancy has definitely been much better than my first though just because I feel like I know a little more of what to expect. I'm also a lot less cranky this time around, which is nice because people still want to be around me. :)  
  • Nothing really.. maybe just stayed a little more active.. overall though I am very pleased with how this pregnancy is going.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • I would have been more active, and I would planned timing better.  We were ready but thought it would take some time.  I would like an April baby next time.   Also, I would have realized I could never keep the secret from my parents and we would have arranged to tell them sooner.  This time around, I totally blurted it over the phone and really wish I had been in person with them and with DH.
    Married 11/21/2009
    BFP 12/4/2010
    Baby Maryn was born 8/18/11
    image   imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BK33BK33 member
    I don't know that I would have changed much.  I am a dancer and a dance teacher so I have been pretty active up until this month.  I taught classes 5 days a week and took ballet 3 times a week up until my 6th month.  I hope that next time I can take class all the way through but the way I've been feeling lately I cant imagine getting through class.
  • imageArlysellers:
    Next time, I would def eat much healthier!
  • imagewhitney1170:

There's so much I would do differently, but am still pretty happy anyway.

In regards to HG: I would have researched it more thouroughly after being diagnosed. The hospital gave me no info, and didn't seem like they thought it was a big deal after my first visit. It took 3 more visits for them to be proactive. Next time around I'll be more prepared. It's not something you can prepare for the first time.

I would definitley have done Bradley classes, gotten more exercise (I literally couldn't the first 4 months, and have lost a lot of muscle tone). I also wish I had started a baby book. DH got me one, but I am still unsure if I want to write about the HG experience. I don't want her to read it one day and feel guilty or sad. I would also take weekly pics. I did at 17 weeks, then didn't until almost 25 or 26 weeks.

I have HG too.  I wish I would have written down everything but not for her to read just for myself.  She will one day know about HG because it is hereditary and I want her to be prepared if she chooses to have kids some day.  I don't want her to know all of my feelings that I would have written down at the time.  I am also pretty defensive when people call her a bad baby and when they make comments about her and the pregnancy.  This is not her fault it is my body's fault with how it has reacted to pregnancy.  That is my response when people make comments and I don't want her hearing that type of thing when she is old enough to understand.   

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageSuesse2009:
    imagewhitney1170:

There's so much I would do differently, but am still pretty happy anyway.

I have HG too.  I wish I would have written down everything but not for her to read just for myself.  She will one day know about HG because it is hereditary and I want her to be prepared if she chooses to have kids some day.  I don't want her to know all of my feelings that I would have written down at the time.  I am also pretty defensive when people call her a bad baby and when they make comments about her and the pregnancy.  This is not her fault it is my body's fault with how it has reacted to pregnancy.  That is my response when people make comments and I don't want her hearing that type of thing when she is old enough to understand.   

I worry about that too, especially when she's older. I don't want people to make comments like "Oh your mom was soooo sick when she was pregnant with you. It was awful!!". I never want her to feel bad or like it was her fault. I also don't want to write down some of the thoughts that went through my head during the really bad times lol.

• I would have held off on some home renovations during the pregnancy.  It's been a pretty stressful time with all of the mess and the extra costs that we weren't prepared for.  I would have tried to take it easier on myself and realize not everything has to be done at once. 

• I wouldn't have told my family until the kid was born (except for one).  The drama and crazy seem to come out in every direction.  They wouldn't have noticed.  I live on the other side of the world, and only one of my siblings ever calls.

With that said, since I can't ethically do that, I would change nothing. 

Crayola, Crayola Rocks!
    White Knot White Knot White Knot White Knot White Knot
    White Knot Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I just would've tried to be more positive and enjoy the first tri more.  I was so sure it just wasn't real and that I was going to lose the baby that I didn't really let myself believe it was happening and soak it up and appreciate it for what it was until I was nearly halfway through it.

Also, I would've (and for future most definitely will!) not give 2 sh*ts about "showing"...I was too preoccupied with wanting the belly (i think largely b/c I hadn't ever had one before).  Next time, I will appreciate fitting into my clothes and being comfortable for as looooooooong as possible!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would've taken more pics of myself pregnant... Especially since this is the last time I will ever be pregnant!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would work out more and eat even a little healthier than I am.  I would also take more pics (weekly bump pics) and I would have kept a journal.  I am going to start taking more pics now, and do a little journaling since I still remember lots of things.  I also wish I wasn't so busy working so much.  I feel like I have been so nuts that I haven't really just sat back, relaxed, and let this whole thing really sink in.  I need some me time to do that.
  • eesomeeesome member
    I would have gotten the nursery finished MUCH sooner. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would have taken weekly bump pictures, stuck to my guns on staying team green, and not told ANYONE what name we choose until LO were here. 

I am not a really active person, but strangely enough I have been doing a lot more than normal since the weather has gotten better.  I know I don't eat everything that I should and do eat things that I shouldn't but at this point I have only gained 16lbs so I think I am doing ok.  

• Well I wont be doing this again unless there's an oops baby. But I slacked on the belly pictures. And, i'm pretty sure she'll come out shaped like a hamburger and fries since that about all I crave. I was a complete neurotic mess about diet and exercise the first time, I vowed to relax in subsequent pregnancies ...Uh think.I accomplishes that.
  • I wish I would have let myself enjoy it more early on. I had a friend who had all but convinced me that it would be a shot in the dark to make it to term because of some of the things that had happened to her, and I spent pretty much all of my 1st tri and most of my 2nd scared to death that something was going to take my baby away from me.

I know she came from the perspective of having experienced several miscarriages herself and was afraid that I would be blindsided by a complication of some sort, but considering the fact that I have a lot of anxiety and issues related to loss I honestly felt like I was expected to wake up every morning telling my baby goodbye.

Next time, I want to wake up every day prepared for the worst but also allowing myself to hope for the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"