Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Question for law enforcement

I have an aunt (though I'm ashamed to call her that) and she is constantly in and out of prison, and taking advantage of my grandma who has dementia (her mom).  She keeps getting "loans" from grandma, and we suspect she is back on drugs-for about the 100th time.

So, my question is, if someone were to call the police station and give an anonymous tip that said aunt is using, will they do anything about it, like check it out?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question for law enforcement

• Options
    Does no one else in the family have control of your grandma's money since she has dementia? That might be a place to start since calling the police may get her put away for a night or two but won't do much in the long term.

• Options

imagemonlyn9:
    Does no one else in the family have control of your grandma's money since she has dementia? That might be a place to start since calling the police may get her put away for a night or two but won't do much in the long term.

This is what I thought as well.  Someone with dementia should have a power of attorney. There was a big huge court mess with my grandma who had Alzheimer's because nothing was ever set in place.

Having someone else in charge of your grandmother's financial matters should stop her from taking out "loans".

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you just call and say so and so is using they prolly wont do anything. If she is on probation call her PO and they will do something.
  • Options
    skioskio member

MH is a cop in NYC and I just asked him. He said (for here, at least) cops don't give anonymous calls for drugs much merit because it's unverified - there's no complainant making the allegation when the caller doesn't give a name. He also said that if something is being done in the privacy of one's home, it's hard for anything to be done. Since a house can't be searched without a warrant, so even if they were to go and knock on the door, something would have to be in plain view in order for them to do anything about it.

Sorry you have a douchebag for an Aunt!

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Yes, my mom handles all of her finances.  However, she gives grandma an "allowance" so that she can get her hair done, get groceries, pay the boy who mows the lawn, etc.

Her dementia is still in the earlier stages.  She can remember things that she has done for a long time.  Like going to the grocery store, but new things she forgets. 

It's a sad thing to say, but it's easier when my aunt is locked up because 1) we don't have to worry about her ODing, getting hurt, etc. and 2) we don't have to worry about her with grandma.

We recently had an incident where my mom put her foot down, and my aunt told her DIL that if she found out one of her sisters had anything to do with it, they would be sorry.

• Options
    skioskio member

imagejcole32444:
    If you just call and say so and so is using they prolly wont do anything. If she is on probation call her PO and they will do something.

Ditto this - calling the PO would be better than calling the cops anonymously.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

In order for a police to investigate anything they must have at least a reasonable suspicion that something is happening.  Usually a tip, anonymous or not, is enough for the officers to investigate, but it is in and of itself generally not enough for probable cause to do a search.  So, they would be able to go to her house, knock on the door and ask some questions, but not search around based on your tip.  If based their initial discussion and observations that they have probable cause to believe that illegal activity is happening then they would be able to go in and search or conduct a more lengthy interrogation.  But you might have to give them some pretty concrete information for them to believe (have a reasonable suspicion) that something illegal is happening for them to go out in the first place.  It is up to them to investigate tips.

Now, with a probation officer, they generally do not have to have a reasonable suspicion to investigate or probable cause to search or interrogate. They generally are able to do a probation check search anytime they want.  So, under the law they would have more of an ability to check up on your sister.  If I were you I would also contact a probation officer, or her parole officer.  Call the probation department at the court in which she had her case to find out who this person is.  

I also agree that your should pursue a case in your grandmother's interest in civil court getting a power of attorney and possibly a guardian.  I don't know much about civil law though.  

Good luck to you. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"