Special Needs

please recommend adapted stroller/wheelchair

Hi- neuro recommended we get one for LO.  He needs it for positioning (so when we are out he can eat and drink safely- proper positioning will decrease chance of aspiration).  He needs a hard back (it can have cushion...just not cloth)- we have tried numerous strollers with cloth back and he sinks/slouches...not good for someone who already aspirates on liquids with good postural seating.  We also need it to transport him out and about (instead of me carrying him) because he tires easily and that makes his tremors/PKC/hypertonia worse. He doesn't need it so much for support.  We are looking at the kimba by otto bock (without some added adaptions like the head rest, lateral supports, butterfly harness etc).  Does anyone else have any other recommendations?  Does anyone have the kimba?  Pros? Cons?  Thanks!!!  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: please recommend adapted stroller/wheelchair

• I don't know if this would help, but they make a snuggin-go positioner for toddlers to use in strollers. They have them half off at https://www.babysteals.com/archive_products.php?id=1003 .

Might be helpful in a pinch.  GL! :)

• imageFloraK8:

I don't know if this would help, but they make a snuggin-go positioner for toddlers to use in strollers. They have them half off at https://www.babysteals.com/archive_products.php?id=1003 .

Might be helpful in a pinch.  GL! :)

Cool- thanks. May get that to keep on hand just in case we need it.  :) Neuro really wants us to look at a wheelchair....I do know that he needs a straight back.  We have tried everything.  He sits back and kind of moves/slides so he is at an angle (but that snuggin-go would help with the side to side slouching).  Thanks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the Snuggin Go.  We use it with DS (we have the infant size) and it works great.  It helps with the flopping side to side and the bar behind the shoulders helps their head fall back in perfect line, instead of falling chin to chest.

We have the Kolcraft Contours.  I know you're looking more for a wheelchair than a stroller, but I have to give it some love.  It has a stiff back, it is cloth but very sturdy.  And it has 4 recline options.  It sits at 90 degrees, but we use the one notch back setting.  It's just enough to help DS sit up straight without flopping but not so reclined that he's always trying to lift his head.  With it forward facing he is very high and can easily fit at a table.  We usually use it rear facing.

The other thing, it's only $159 at BRU and you can use a 20% coupon.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I hope the Kimba does the trick. SN equipment is frustrating because we often have to order it without trying it out first.

I bet your arms will feel better once you have the wheelchair. Carrying a low-tone baby is twice as heavy as a typical-tone baby of the same weight, in my opinion.

Keep us posted on what you end up getting and how your LO (and you) like it! 

• We're waiting for our tomato MPS to come in. We got the mobile floor sitter set, but you can also get a push chair for the MPS. The seat itself is very adaptable. You can go from using it as an approved car seat to putting it in the floor sitter, they have a few push chair options , or you can even attach it to a chair at your dinner table. My favorite part is that its got a soft material. Since I don't want DD to be in her MPS all day, we've been looking at separate mobility devices. Our vendor told us about the convaid cuddlebug. Its got some cool high-lo features and can go from sitting totally upright, reclined, or completely flat. It also has transit option for a school bus. Your Pt may have some good suggestions and be able to help you with finding a vendor to trial things or provide you with their own stash to trial before you commit to one. We've tried tons of different walkers this way to ensure we're not buying one that won't work since DD is so complex. 

• imageMummyGruetzie:

We're waiting for our tomato MPS to come in. We got the mobile floor sitter set, but you can also get a push chair for the MPS. The seat itself is very adaptable. You can go from using it as an approved car seat to putting it in the floor sitter, they have a few push chair options , or you can even attach it to a chair at your dinner table. My favorite part is that its got a soft material. Since I don't want DD to be in her MPS all day, we've been looking at separate mobility devices. Our vendor told us about the convaid cuddlebug. Its got some cool high-lo features and can go from sitting totally upright, reclined, or completely flat. It also has transit option for a school bus. Your Pt may have some good suggestions and be able to help you with finding a vendor to trial things or provide you with their own stash to trial before you commit to one. We've tried tons of different walkers this way to ensure we're not buying one that won't work since DD is so complex. 

Thanks.  I will check that out.  It is so hard not being able to try things out.  We have a few vendors to choose from.  We are trying to see if one will come out next week to meet us and give us some recommendations before we get a rx etc for it.  But, since there are no local vendors- the therapists said it is really hard to get loaners. :(  Thanks for the ideas!   

• imageFloraK8:

I hope the Kimba does the trick. SN equipment is frustrating because we often have to order it without trying it out first.

I bet your arms will feel better once you have the wheelchair. Carrying a low-tone baby is twice as heavy as a typical-tone baby of the same weight, in my opinion.

Keep us posted on what you end up getting and how your LO (and you) like it! 

I know!  It is so frustrating.  I hope it does...I think anything that is a little supportive with help him and will make me feel so much better.  I will keep you posted!  :) 

• imageToastieSimons:

I second the Snuggin Go.  We use it with DS (we have the infant size) and it works great.  It helps with the flopping side to side and the bar behind the shoulders helps their head fall back in perfect line, instead of falling chin to chest.

We have the Kolcraft Contours.  I know you're looking more for a wheelchair than a stroller, but I have to give it some love.  It has a stiff back, it is cloth but very sturdy.  And it has 4 recline options.  It sits at 90 degrees, but we use the one notch back setting.  It's just enough to help DS sit up straight without flopping but not so reclined that he's always trying to lift his head.  With it forward facing he is very high and can easily fit at a table.  We usually use it rear facing.

The other thing, it's only $159 at BRU and you can use a 20% coupon.

Thanks!  I borrowed the kolcraft contours from a friend.  It still didn't support Aiden well...I am not sure what the deal is.  We also have a BOB stroller...and that is worse bc of the cloth back- no support.  Thanks though!  :)  

• Lurker butting in....

I'd recommend a Convaid adaptive stroller, probably the Cruiser. The adaptive strollers tend to be much lighter and fold up easier than a wheelchair. You can get trunk/head/etc additions that give support very similar to a wheelchair. It's pretty pricey, but some DME vendores will give a discount for private pay, if you ask. If your child has Medicaid, there's a chance they'd fund (same goes for private insurance, if you have DME coverage).

• imagedenisenichole:

Lurker butting in....

I'd recommend a Convaid adaptive stroller, probably the Cruiser. The adaptive strollers tend to be much lighter and fold up easier than a wheelchair. You can get trunk/head/etc additions that give support very similar to a wheelchair. It's pretty pricey, but some DME vendores will give a discount for private pay, if you ask. If your child has Medicaid, there's a chance they'd fund (same goes for private insurance, if you have DME coverage).

This is what we were told to get, a Convaid.   

• imagedenisenichole:

Lurker butting in....

Thanks...yes he has medicaid.  We also have private insurance...so going to try and go through both.  The convaid cruiser is the one I found last night while googling that I really liked....a lot of my former students who were not in wheelchairs used them.  I did like them.  Thanks!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"