Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

When will baby's poop start to smell?

Kind of a silly question, but I'm curious because we don't have a diaper pail and I'm wonder if/when we'll need a special trash can for his diapers. Since there's no smell to them now we just throw them in our regular trash. He is fed mostly BM, with just an ounce or so of formula a day if that makes a difference.
imageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: When will baby's poop start to smell?

• Options
    I think it's supposed to get stinky when they start eating solids, but I don't know from experience, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    When they start eating what you eat. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had to switch from BM to formula because I wasn't making enough, so about a week after he got on formula his poops started smelling. They have gotten gradually worse and he has the worst smelling gas!

• Options

MY LO STARTED TO SMELL WHEN SHE STARTED TO DRINK MORE FORMULA THAN BREAST MILK..THAT WAS ABOUT 5-6 WEEKS. BUT I DONT SEE THE NEED IN A DIAPER PAIL, I THROW THEM AWAY IN THE TRASH AND NO LINGERING SCENT....AS LONG AS  U DONT JUST SIT THEM AROUND FOR DAYS U SHOULDNT HAVE A PROBLEM

• Options

We are EBF (LO will be 2w on Friday) and I can tell you already- her poop smells.  It didn't used to, but then started to after I ate something garlicy- three days ago.  It isn't terrible, but definitely has that sulfur vibe.  So, I will be staying away from garlic for a bit, which stinks, because all DH cooks is garlicy stuff and who wants to discourage DH from cooking, right?

• Options
    DS's poop has always smelled (and bad smelly gas too), even when we BF. We don't use a diaper genie or pail or whatever. Just a trashcan with a trashbag. We do put the diapers in those little blue poop bags, tie them up, and throw them again. They contain the smell. We take the trash out once a week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was told by a nurse in the hospital that most BF babies poop usually doesnt have a smell.  My little guys doesnt stink either and he is EBF.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's always been smelly!
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We FF, and DD's poop started to stink when she was about 6 weeks old. Now, it's a stinky, muddy mess every time she poops. Yummy....Ick!
  • Options

When they are mostly formula or eating table food.

Also, even for my oldest 19months we just use our regular trash and take it out each morning(occasionally a tiny bit longer) and never have problems with the smell. And trust me, his poop WREAKS! : ) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A2009A2009 member
    Our diaper pail didn't smell until he started on solid food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"