Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Healthy recipes..

As many of you know, I launched my new weight loss blog last night.

I just posted about how I dont know how to cook healthy meals, mainly because of the limitations my husband puts on me. (He doesnt like seafood or veggies) and cooking separate meals is just not going to happen with a 5 month old...

So my question is, Anyone got any healthy ideas?? I will seriously die if I have to eat chicken EVERYDAY. Can beef and pork be healthy?  Or should I just shove shrimp and salmon down my husbands throat?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Healthy recipes..

• Options
    Check out sparkpeople.com it's free and they not only have recipes but you can put your own in and it will give you a nutrition label for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

A tip about ground turkey, make sure you are getting lean ground turkey otherwise it's not much less fat than some lean beef ( I can't remember the % but it's surprising). Make sure you are getting 7% lean.

You can do beef though it's all about the cuts you get.  Pork too, go with loins, cut off any visible fat.  Grill and broil don't pan fry.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLovingBaz:
    Check out sparkpeople.com it's free and they not only have recipes but you can put your own in and it will give you a nutrition label for it.

This.

What kind of foods does your dh like?

• Options

Thanks ladies!

DH likes everything... except seafood and most non starchy veggies. otherwise known as... the really healthy stuff =)

• Options
    imagealopdx:
    imageLovingBaz:

A tip about ground turkey, make sure you are getting lean ground turkey otherwise it's not much less fat than some lean beef ( I can't remember the % but it's surprising). Make sure you are getting 7% lean.

You can do beef though it's all about the cuts you get.  Pork too, go with loins, cut off any visible fat.  Grill and broil don't pan fry.

We get 99% fat free ground turkey!

Even better! I meant to put at least 7% lean...Or 93%? I'm tired lol  I get the 93/7 beef or Turkey.  Leaner if I can find it.

I cook with fresh herbs and that right there helps with flavor.

• Options
    imageAngtru18:

Thanks ladies!

DH likes everything... except seafood and most non starchy veggies. otherwise known as... the really healthy stuff =)

You know you can trick him right?

Will he eat red sauce on pasta?

Make whole wheat pasta. I'm pretty sure you can get it so that it's whole wheat "white" pasta.  Get tinned tomatoes low or no sodium, then throw in zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, carrots, whatever cook it down and blend it. He won't know it's chock full of veggies.  The calories of the sauce will be almost nothing.

You can add the ground turkey or 93/7 (95/5 if you can find it) beef to bulk it out if you want.

• Options

We had a great stuffed pepper dish tonight that hides tons of veggies in it to really bulk up the nutrients. It's a great one for DS to eat too!

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Slice the tops off of 6 peppers (I buy the 6 pack at Sam's Club) and clean out the ribs and seeds. Place the peppers in the boiling water for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, dice up the pepper tops and one small onion and set aside. When the peppers are done, pull them out and place them open side up in a baking dish (an 11x7 works perfect). To the boiling water, add 1/2 to 3/4 c of orzo pasta and cook until done. Drain pasta (dumping water) and set pasta aside. Drizzle 1-2 TBSP of olive oil in the pan and add in the peppers, onion, and a couple of cloves of minced garlic. Cook until slightly softened and then add in a pound of lean ground beef (I use 90/10). Brown ground beef and then drain off any excess fat. While the beef is browning, steam (or thaw) broccoli, cauliflower and any other veggies you want to throw in (I did broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and squash tonight). Once the veggies are cooked, finely dice them. Throw the diced veggies and orzo in the pot with the meat mixture. Add in 2-3 cups of your favorite pasta sauce and about 1/2 c parm cheese. Mix and heat. Stuff each pepper with the mixture. Top each stuffed pepper with a bit more sauce and a sprinkling of parm. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or pop in the microwave for 10 minutes. 

There will probably be leftover filling. If your hubby doesn't like peppers he can eat just that. Also, the peppers freeze well and make a great lunch too. 

Check out foodnetwork.com and look at some of Ellie Krieger's recipes. She has a good chili recipe on there called "Three Bean and Beef Chili". 

• Options

chicken, turkey, pork and have beef here and there just in moderation! Don't diet, make a life style change.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"