May 2011 Moms

Cutting baby's nails

What do you use? They originally told us in the hospital to just use a nail file but we need to figure out something else now - her nails are long and are dirty underneath! Yuck! I just can't figure out the logistics of trimming her nails. I'm afraid to use something sharp, she flails so much. How do you do it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cutting baby's nails

• They sell some that look like blunt little scissors.

• I also use the baby nail clippers while she is asleep. I have not had any problems so far.
    Photobucket PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsSparklebottom:
    I use baby nail clippers while he's asleep. Works like a charm!

This is what I do, as well.  
    Boy #1, born 6/5/2011
    Boy #2, born 8/27/2014

Currently... Pregnant with mo/di BOY TWINS!  Due September 15.  Latest induction will be 37w.
  • I actually just pick at the side of the nail until there's a little tear and then just peel the long part off. It sounds nuts, but if you're scared of scissors around their little hands, or have a constant mover like my little guy, it works. If I try when he's sleeping with the scissors, he wakes up and flails all over the place. I do his nails while he's eating and it works. Just don't go nuts on the tearing part - their little nails are really soft and it's easy to do this without going at it too hard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use baby nail clippers as well!
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • HelsHels member

imageJMU_Bride09:
    They sell some that look like blunt little scissors.

We use these. And when I say "we" what I really mean is "my mom uses these".. .because I want nothing to do with cutting babies nails. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with pp, baby nail clippers while asleep.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use baby clippers, too.  If I do it right after he eats, he's content and lets me. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use baby nail clippers too.  I d it right after he eats since he is uaully swaddled if he's sleeping.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"