February 2012 Moms

Overseas & almost 7 weeks

So a little over a week ago I found out I was pregnant, I've been in Europe now for 4 weeks, going to be here another 2. I'm very excited to be pregnant, but a little nervous as I haven't even been able to tell my Dr. that I am pregnant. There's another issue, I have Ulcerative Colitis and I've been in a constant flare up now for 2 years. I wasn't planning on getting pregnant and I honestly feel pretty good considering my intestines are inflamed and I have morning sickness to top it all off. I'm just nervous that my baby is going to have health problems since I'm not healthy. I'm excited and optimistic! My boyfriend, the father, is currently in California on military orders so when I do return home from Europe I will have to go to the initial Dr. visits on my own, or bring someone along, but still? not the same. My other concern is, because I'm overseas I haven't been able to buy prenatal pills yet. I have been careful about what I'm eating, considering I'm in foreign territory sometimes I'm not positive what my plate is going to come out drizzled in. Only been 2 incidents where I couldn't stand to eat what was in front of me, and I think a lot of it had to do with my new keen sense of smell. Overall, I've only had to hit the toilet twice since I've been pregnant which is pretty good I think? My morning sickness only acts up on long car rides and sometimes after breakfast, but not to the point where I'm stuck next to the toilet. I must be nearly 7 weeks now, at least that's what the calculator says according to my last period. I'm just hoping everything goes well and if there is any advice anyone can give me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

Ashley 

Re: Overseas & almost 7 weeks

• I don't know anything about Ulcerative Colitis but it's pretty normal not to see your doctor until 8-12 weeks into your pregnancy so you should be fine in terms of that. Depending on where you are in Europe I would think you can probably find some over-the-counter PNVs or at least normal vitamins to get you through the next couple weeks. But if you can't, I wouldn't sweat it. Just try to eat as healthy as you can and start taking them as soon as you get home. Women who never take PNVs can still have healthy pregnancies.

From my experiences in Europe (Italy and France) I'd stay away from meat if you can because you shouldn't be eat any even slightly under cooked meat.

HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I should think you should be able to find some prenatal vitamins there. (Not sure where in Europe you are but there are pregnant women everywhere). I won't be seeing my doctor until 10-12 weeks. That is pretty common and really you there isn't anything other than prenatals that you need to be doing. Just read up online what you should stay away from: raw meat, soft cheeses, raw eggs, etc.

When you get back do you not have any family you are close with for the doctor visits? I always go by myself but I have had several pregnancies so I'm more comfortable with this than you might be. Sorry. :( 

• Loading the player...
  • No advice but I hope everything works out for you! I'd read as much as you can online and watch your eating habits.
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • I know it's tough but you need to relax. You are in Europe! You have access the best of everything there - same or better than in the States. You should have no problem finding a prenatal if you just look for them.

If it makes you feel any better - I have been in a developing country since I got pregnant - where I have access to very little and in which the water if FAR from potable. Baby and I are just fine. I am, however, fairly miserable as I don't have access to the foods I crave but I will survive. There are pregnant all over the world - many of whom do not have access to clean water or food and have never even heard of a prenatal vitamin. Do your best to eat well and rest. Your body will take care of the rest. If you are very concerned that your medical condition will impact the baby - go see a doctor.

Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"