February 2011 Moms
Options

Sore @ epidural site?

Anyone else get an epidural and have lower back pain around the area where the epidural was injected?  I have been having TERRIBLE lower back pain for the past week and a half and have heard that an epidural can cause it.  I'm going to call my Dr. tomorrow, although I'm not sure there's much she can do!  I'm pretty miserable though!  This is not helping w/ my goal to workout more!  UGH!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sore @ epidural site?

• Options
    I had a little bit a few months after I had DS, but it eventually went away. I was lucky enough to have time for an epi with DD so I didn;t have to worry about it this time around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have been having lower back pain for 2 months now! I my dr just referred me to physical therapy :( She thinks it's just weakened from the pregnancy and then now lifting DS. I have a hard time bending and picking up ds at all. I try to squat but that's not always practical and I can't when I pull him out of his crib.

I was advised to work out, which is incredibly difficult with a sore a$$ back! 

Happy mommy to a sweet baby boy! CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor quoted some studies about back pain and epidurals at my post partum visit.  She apparently thinks that usually the back pain is caused by poor posture when toting around the baby in the carrier as opposed to the epidural because they compared back pain in post-partum patients with and without the epidural and they were similar and apparently related to lifting behaviors.  PT is usually very effective for back pain.
  • Options

Wow, funny you posted this question!  I have an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow because I've been having excruciating lower back pain for the past 3 weeks.  I thought I tweaked it picking up DS, and figured it would go away in a few weeks.  It has stayed the same amount of pain constantly.  Nothing helps, not heating pad, ice, motrin/tylenol, massage, walking, stretching, etc.

It is much lower than the epidural site, like right at the base of my spine.  I am looking forward to relief, but not PT if that is the treatment.  I really don't know how I'll have time for that!  Can a cortisone injection fix it as well?

• Options
    imageAliKay+:

Wow, funny you posted this question!  I have an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow because I've been having excruciating lower back pain for the past 3 weeks.  I thought I tweaked it picking up DS, and figured it would go away in a few weeks.  It has stayed the same amount of pain constantly.  Nothing helps, not heating pad, ice, motrin/tylenol, massage, walking, stretching, etc.

It is much lower than the epidural site, like right at the base of my spine.  I am looking forward to relief, but not PT if that is the treatment.  I really don't know how I'll have time for that!  Can a cortisone injection fix it as well?

I am hoping that a cortisone shot will help. I have been having the same consistent pain in the area you are describing. I went to the chiropractor first hoping that would help, since it's hard to do PT. Getting a babysitter is very difficult. DH works 8-5 which are the hours they are open, and the only other place that is open later is booked months out. That place is over an hour away and I still wouldn't make it with traffic by the time DH got home.

Happy mommy to a sweet baby boy! CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    imageJennabug25:

I am hoping that a cortisone shot will help. I have been having the same consistent pain in the area you are describing. I went to the chiropractor first hoping that would help, since it's hard to do PT. Getting a babysitter is very difficult. DH works 8-5 which are the hours they are open, and the only other place that is open later is booked months out. That place is over an hour away and I still wouldn't make it with traffic by the time DH got home.

So I'm taking it that the chiro didn't help?  My MIL has been trying to get me to go to hers but I have never found them very helpful long term.

My appt is this afternoon, I will let you know how it goes and what the dr. prescribes as treatment.  I hope we all start feeling better soon, we need to be the best versions of ourselves for the new babies' sake!

• Options
    hmm thanks for all the input!  It seems like one of those topics that many different doctors could have many different opinions/methods of TX for... we'll see what my Dr. wants to do.
  • Options
    well at least im not the only one...it's not too bad but it is keeping me from running.  i have a chiro appointment today so we'll see if that helps.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I still have times where it hurts so bad i want to cry. My doctor actually told me some people have had problems with pain for up to a year!
  • Options

Ok, so I got back from the Orthopedist yesterday.  I had xrays and showed some disk compression in the L4/L5 area, and he said I probably have mild sciatica.  He said he see's this all the time with new moms, and that most of the times it goes away by 6 weeks.  Ugh!  How are we supposed to take care of our children in those 6 weeks?  I literally.can't.function with the pain.  Sitting and leaning over to nurse hurts so bad that most of the time now I just lay down in the bed.

I was prescribed PT, some muscle relaxers (Roboxin) and a steriod pack, both that are safe for nursing.  Took some today and I feel SO much better, I could actually put on my shoes!  :)

I might have to skip the PT because I stay home with DS and it would be hard to arrange to get there regularly.  Dr. said if things don't get better in 2 weeks that next step is MRI and epidural cortisone injection. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"