August 2011 Moms
Options

Newborn Flying Regulations

Hmmm....

I thought I'd pass this along to everyone else since I found the answers very surprising.

Today DH and I had an appointment with a pediatrician to talk about taking a newborn baby on an airplane.  He said that in a perfect world a baby under six weeks should not fly,  but in a pinch,  a very young baby can fly.  He suggested that he confirm airline policies to see what they say.

I just called United, and found out that if a baby is over seven days old they can fly.  Under seven days you need a doctor's note.  I think I'll bring a copy of the birth certificate just in case.

(Back story:    I'm due July 31 and live in CA. DH must be in Virginia by August 15 because he got a job)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newborn Flying Regulations

• Options
    megd06megd06 member
    How old will you son be when you fly with him? I flew with DS at 7-8 wks to see my family--it was the easiest of all the flights I've taken with him (I've flown alone with him about 5 times now)--he just slept the entire flights, both there and back. Security was a bit of a pain, but that was more b/c no one offered to help me handle the stroller/seat, and my baby--and my own junk.
  • Options

imagemegd06:
    How old will you son be when you fly with him? I flew with DS at 7-8 wks to see my family--it was the easiest of all the flights I've taken with him (I've flown alone with him about 5 times now)--he just slept the entire flights, both there and back. Security was a bit of a pain, but that was more b/c no one offered to help me handle the stroller/seat, and my baby--and my own junk.

Under 2 weeks...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    megd06megd06 member
    imagelob:

imagemegd06:

Under 2 weeks...

It'll probably be a pretty smooth flight...just make sure to feed during landing/take offs :) DS didn't even wake during landing, but I did give him a bottle during takeoff--which put him to sleep for the entire flight. I planned ahead and took a bag of candy, to pass out if he started shrieking on the flight--I hear it helps calm other passengers down.

• Options
    imagemegd06:
    imagelob:

imagemegd06:

Under 2 weeks...

It'll probably be a pretty smooth flight...just make sure to feed during landing/take offs :) DS didn't even wake during landing, but I did give him a bottle during takeoff--which put him to sleep for the entire flight. I planned ahead and took a bag of candy, to pass out if he started shrieking on the flight--I hear it helps calm other passengers down.

Smart thinking!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"