April 2011 Moms

Bed/bath timing when you have an older child???

We might be moving DD to her own crib, in her own nursery this Friday. She's been going seeemi-consistent 5-6 hour stretches, so this is good enough for us! Plus she's almost 14 lbs, and the weight limit is 15, so might as well.

THE PROBLEM is: Our son gets his nightly bath at 7pm. We usually do DD's bath around 6:45 (while DS watches TV) and I nurse her in our room while our son is getting his bath with DH. Now, her nursery is RIGHT next door to their bathroom. DS is a loud 3 y/o, who enjoys a good bath! I can't see how nursing her to sleep while DS takes a rowdy bath will work???!!?! We can't push back her bedtime.. she's a WRECK by 6:30, so even 6:45 is pushing it. We can't push back our son's bathtime, because either way it might wake her up. Either when I am nursing her down, or when she's already asleep in her crib. (**why didn't we get a different floorplan house, I now ask!!!)

Any suggestions to change up our timing here???? I am stumped.

Re: Bed/bath timing when you have an older child???

• First I would say try your normal routine. You would be surprised at what infants can sleep through! Close both doors to help with sounds.

If that doesn't work, I say give DS a bath at 6:30 and then DD a bath at 6:45.

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Three words: White noise machine.

It's magical!!

• Loading the player...
  • We have this same sort of routine with our kids. I use a loud fan in DD's room to create white noise while she sleeps/nurses. I bet your LO will learn to ignore her noisy brother. :-)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMsAng02:

Three words: White noise machine.

It's magical!!

n

I agree! Even better than what I suggested! My girls love ours!

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh yes -we are BIGTIME white noise people!! One in every room practically!!! :) Hopefully it'll work when cranked up.
  • imagekgail11:
    Oh yes -we are BIGTIME white noise people!! One in every room practically!!! :) Hopefully it'll work when cranked up.

I'm sure it will be fine. DD's bedroom is right across the hall from DS, and I have found that he can be screaming at the top of his lungs, but if both doors are closed and her white noise is on, it can barely be heard.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If all the white noise suggestions don't work, I'd ask if it's possible to just give them a bath together?  We've started giving baths at the same time - 6:45 for both kids.  We also used to give Drew his bath at 7 but we just moved it back a little bit and switched it with the next part of his routine (20-30 minutes of Sesame Street).  While he's chillin' on the couch, I usually nurse Elizabeth and then they basically go to sleep at the same time.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We're still trying to figure it out, but so far it is working for us. DD1 gets her bath right after dinner (we're a late house) so like 9pm ish. Usually DD2 is sleeping in the swing or her crib for a snooze...or she's awake crying in one of those places. After we get DD1 to bed I nurse DD2, then we give her a bath (sometimes just a rinse off bath), and then lotion/pjs/etc, then she gets a bottle, then I nurse her a bit more to get her extra sleepy.

I thought doing this would wake up DD1 but she hasn't budged an inch the whole week since we've been doing this routine. The bathroom shares a wall with DD1's room too. We have a white noise machine in there too. So far so good.

I say go for it and see how she does, like the PP said, you might be surprised. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"