May 2011 Moms
Options

Formula question

Do you give a certain amount at each feeding and stop there? Or do you give more and let baby decide when they are full?

I am giving 4 oz every 4 hours now, but debating on if I should offer more. He always finishes the 4 oz and seems satisfied, but I don't know when or if I should up it to 5. Thanks !!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Formula question

• Options

We started giving more when our son fussed at the end of 4 oz and wanted more. If he took only 4 oz, he would be hungry about 2 hrs later.  The pediatrician said at this stage they can't overeat....they will spit up if they have too much.  If your baby seems satisfied, you probaly don't ned to up.

• Options

We try not to give him more formula than he'll eat because we're mixing in what little breast milk that I can pump and we really hate to see that go down the drain.

We've been steadily upping the amounts based, like others have said, on whether he still acts hungry at the end of a bottle. Also based on whether it's been 2 hours or 5 since the last feeding.

We've been increasing by half an ounce at a time, but that's easier to do with breast milk supplementing than with mixing powder, of course. He's usually eating 4.5 ounces this week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We go by DD's cues. She is now polishing off a 4 oz bottle with no problems, and seems satisfied for about a 1/2 hour, but then needs another oz or two for a "top off." We will be making bigger bottles for her more consistantly from now on, I think...
  • Options
    Bryan's doctor told me to give him as much as he will take.  He said if he spits up it is still a "happy" spit up at this time.  He takes about 4-6 ozs a time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    After Dee started to consistently take 4oz bottles for 2 days straight I started offering her 6oz bottles. She takes between 4-6oz every feeding.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"