August 2011 Moms

The reality of the electric bill

It's been hotter than normal here, not to mention I'm pregnant!  I try really hard to keep the a/c at a decent temp during the day, but our electric bill came today and showed me just how hot it's been...  The bill went up $100 from last month.  Lovely.

Re: The reality of the electric bill

• Yeah I'm really not looking forward to getting ours! We usually have about 3 months of good electric bills, this year I think we are going to get just the 1 from last month!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh, yeah, normally our "cheap" electric bills come during the summer. Not this month!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours was a little higher than normal, but it's been hot here and I turn the AC down to 75 night (typically we set it on 77 at night).

Now, I just wish we would get some darn rain... our water bill was $170 last month ($100 more than normal for this time of year)!!  We are in a severe drought and we have to run our irrigation system to keep our sod alive.

• imageJenWhite123:

Ours was a little higher than normal, but it's been hot here and I turn the AC down to 75 night (typically we set it on 77 at night).

Now, I just wish we would get some darn rain... our water bill was $170 last month ($100 more than normal for this time of year)!!  We are in a severe drought and we have to run our irrigation system to keep our sod alive.

Wow!  I would have to change my sheets from sweat every morning.  We set ours to 72 at night, and there are still nights I wake up super hot and have to turn it down a notch or two.  I texted DH to tell him what the bill was and he declared that starting tonight, we're sleeping naked.  :)

• I live in Seattle and we have had unseasonably cold weather. We finally hit 70 last week...woot. I am missing sunshine and summer, but my fellow August-mommies remind me that hot is not always best! Hope you get some relief from the heat...maybe I can send some of our cool weather for a few days for you!
  • it's easier on your bill if you just set the a/c at a certain temp and leave it. otherwise it's working overtime everyday to cool the house back down, when you come home at night, every day, over & over. believe me, we live in las vegas so our a/c is on non-stop from may-september at the least
  • imagemooninlv:
    it's easier on your bill if you just set the a/c at a certain temp and leave it. otherwise it's working overtime everyday to cool the house back down, when you come home at night, every day, over & over. believe me, we live in las vegas so our a/c is on non-stop from may-september at the least

We are on a TOU meter.  We pay 16 cents per kilowatt-hour before 9 pm and 6 cents after 9 pm.  So, for us, it is actually much cheaper to wait until 9 pm and turn the thermostat down in the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"