High-Risk Pregnancy

GD- Insulin or Glyburide?

My diabetes counsler is recommending Glyburide 2.5mg with dinner because Im unable to control my morning Blood sugars, which generally are around 109-112.  My Dr. is calling in the rx this evening.  But of course when I got home I googled it and now Im reading that its NOT "officially" endorsed YET to treat GD.

Is anyone on this as opposed to insulin?  Both are fine because they do not penetrate the placenta, but Im wondering if I should just do the insulin then? 

A little nervous...

thanks! 

Re: GD- Insulin or Glyburide?

• I was told that glyburide wasn't ideal for treating high fasting sugars because of the time frame in which it releases. My doctor prefers insulin in most cases anyway. I'm by no means an expert, that is just what I was told. If you're nervous, I would call and get an explanation of why they prefer the glyburide over insulin.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • I personally, and all of the doctors who have treated me during both GD pregnancies, prefer insulin. A) It is approved for use in pregnancy and proven safe - it's already something your body produces naturally and B) You can have much better and more precise control with insulin because you can inject when you need it vs. taking the glyburide and hoping your body releases it at the right time.

Talk to your doctor. They should explain why they are choosing glyburide over insulin, and if you're nervous you can discuss pros and cons of trying insulin instead.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I took glyburide and didn't have any problems with it. It took it before bed though, not with dinner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • When I had GD with my twin pg, my MFM wanted to prescribe Glyburide. When I pressed him why he would prescribe that over insulin, he said it was simply because most patients prefer taking a pill over doing injections.That was the ONLY reason why he was suggesting that first.

My DH is a doctor. He has treated many pregnant women who were on Glyburide. Their blood sugar levels crashed and they fainted and fell. My DH was really opposed to me being on Glyburide as he was afraid I would pass out while driving or would fall and hurt myself or the babies. I also did my own research and saw that it is a Class C drug and there are NO studies on its effect on pregnancy. All of these factors played into my decision to do insulin instead of glyburide.

• I am taking Glyburide-2.5 at dinner and 2.5 a half hour before breakfast.  My numbers have gottone much better but I was warned that they might have to up my dose in a few weeks because it might stop working. I haven't had any problems just don't want to have to give myself shots everyday.
    TTC since May 2009 Dx PCOS Metformin 1500 a day Aug 2010 1st RE visit ovaluated on own Sept 2010 Clomid Oct 2010 Clomid, HCG Nov 2010 Femera Dec 2010 Femara, HCG Sucessful Jan 2012 Femara, HCG Feb 2012 Femera, Follistim, HCG Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:

I personally, and all of the doctors who have treated me during both GD pregnancies, prefer insulin. A) It is approved for use in pregnancy and proven safe - it's already something your body produces naturally and B) You can have much better and more precise control with insulin because you can inject when you need it vs. taking the glyburide and hoping your body releases it at the right time.

Talk to your doctor. They should explain why they are choosing glyburide over insulin, and if you're nervous you can discuss pros and cons of trying insulin instead.

This exactly. I cannot take glyburide anyway because my asthma medications render it ineffective.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm on 1.25 (1/2 a pill) before bedtime to control fasting levels. I've been on it since 17 weeks and everything is fine, she is developing perfect and right around the 50% percentile on my growth ultrasounds. Also, I checked with the pediatrician about breastfeeding (one of my main concerns) and he showed me their most current books with the studies and results about medications and their effect on breastfeeding and Glyburide is safe to take now and I can breastfeed as soon as I give birth too.
    image   image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm on glyburide 2.5 at bedtime.  They initially told me to take it at breakfast, but only my fasting numbers were high, so I switched it to right before bed and it has worked so far.  I did get really sick to my stomach the first day I took it, but it has been fine since then.  I've never had my blood sugar crash or felt faint.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I took glyburide with my first two pregancies. I am currently insulin this time around. I honestly prefer insulin as it is easier to control and I wish I had pushed for it with my first two children.  With the glyburide, I would crash and have low blood sugar so many times it was scary.  As others stated, I would consult your doctor and see why/if they prefer glyburide over insulin.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • sraexxsraexx member
    I have been GD for 12 weeks and it is getting tougher to get good numbers even with the minimum carbs so medicine time looms ahead. I freaked out after reading about glyburide and was terrified. I spoke to my doctor and she told me how safe it is and that most drugs given to pregnant women are class c, but they are the best treatment. I am not convinced, but it did make me feel better. When the time comes, I will talk to my high-risk doctor and see what he thinks. But if I have to take the pills, I am not as nervous.
    BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I've been on 1.25mg before bedtime and have had absolutely no problems. I know it's a class C med, but most are when it comes to pregnancy... Your doctor would not prescribe something that is unsafe. You'll be fine :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"