Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Should we travel with DH to Chicago?

My DH is trying out for the second season of The Voice in a few weeks in Chicago.  His sister is also trying out, so they plan to stand in line together and all that.  My question is, should DD and I go as well and make a weekend of it?  We have never been to Chicago, so didn't know if there was anything there that would be toddler friendly for us during the day while they are auditioning.  Or would we be bored waiting for them to get done (with no idea on how long the audition process could take)? 

Extra info:  This is about a 7-8 hour car drive for us.

Give me your thoughts! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Should we travel with DH to Chicago?

• I think it depends on your comfort level with being with DD for however long these auditions take.  When DD and I went with DH to Austin on a business trip of his I did get a bit bored.  Granted she was about 7/8 months so there wasn't a whole lot I could do with her plus we were without a car except for one day.  We were a day late flying in (flight got cancelled) so we only had one "family day" before DH had to go to work.  So on the 3 days he worked I was with DD by myself from sun-up until sundown.  The closest things to the hotel was a Dave 'n Buster's and World Market. 

I'm not familiar with Chicago but if you were to stay in a centrally located area close to public transit and sightseeing places then I would say it might be a fun change of environment and pace.  But, if you were in a similar situation as I was: no car, no public transit, not centrally located then I would say not to bother going.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I live 20 minutes outside of Chicago. I still haven't gone to the city with my LO without my DH. If you are centrally located it could be fun if you like sight-seeing.

Go to Chicago Parent to see if there are any events going on that interest you.

https://www.chicagoparent.com/calendar

BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would go just for the heck of it. We travel at night which has worked out great for us since Matthew sleeps the whole time.  There is always less traffic and we enjoy it. That may be an option for you guys to consider - traveling at night.
  • If you can manage the car ride, I'd say go.  I LOVE Chicago. It has big city feel with midwest kindness.  There is a great aquarium, all indoors, that I think LO would like.  Their public transport is nice and easy to manuever, and you can buy like a  day pass for like $6 and ride the bus/metra unlimited back and forth. So nice.
  • I see that the auditions are being held at Navy Pier which would be great for you. They have a fantastic childrens'museum, restaurants, music, and children's entertainment (sometimes). Shedd Aquarium is a quick cab ride away. It's also right on the water and has a ferris wheel and a few other things outside. I say go!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would totally go! I love Chicago and miss living there - so much to do and see!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"